Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: catoma

Post Thanks / Like

Default catoma

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! I am headed to Lake Catoma tomorrow, its been nearly 10 years since I fished there. Would anyone be willing to share some tips? Don't need specifics or honey holes but maybe some colors or depths for this time of year. We'll be flingin jigs so any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Please let us know how you do, I live in decatur and would like to try it sometime!

Post Thanks / Like

Sure will, it might be a short report but we're gonna have a good day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

zrdc28 - Well here's the report. 1 nice thick crappie fish, 5 bass and 2 bluegills. We started at 8:30 and stopped at 4:30 water temp was 44 to 48 degrees, we fished anywhere from 3' to 20' deep. We looked everywhere from old weed lines and blow downs to brush piles. The one we caught was in 20' of water holding 3' off of a slick bottom. We threw everything we had in every color combo from threadfin shad to butter belly in 1/16, 1/32 and 1/24 including a road runner. When we came out we talked to others that did not catch any crappie at all and they fish this lake on a regular basis (one of them was using minnows only). for some reason they had a bad case of lockjaw. But it was still a good day on the water with an old friend that I haven't fished with in several years. So I will be back out there soon, if not tomorrow then most likely Friday morning because I like to say "what's life without a challenge" and we were definitely challenged. Almost forgot...1 gentleman was there longer than we were fishing for bass and only caught 5.

Post Thanks / Like

On Catoma....can you use your boat if you only power by trolling motor?

Post Thanks / Like

Good question....my brother was told that you need to pull the prop off your big motor and keep it trimmed out of the water all the time or they would fine you.

Post Thanks / Like

flintcreek...thanks for the reply. Happy New Year

Post Thanks / Like

A friend had a 25 hp on his boat but with no gas tank and they made him get off the lake, so it might be a problem with any larger motor! They did not ticket him!

Post Thanks / Like

Like you folks, I have heard the same things so I'm not going to chance it (can't afford to chance it). I'm gonna be working a trade for a 10 hp.