Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Landbased Hyco today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Landbased Hyco today

Weather forecast did not look too good today to be out in a boat so switched to plan B. I have wanted to fish some of the bridges at Hyco especially during the cold months when the crappie stack up at the bridges. For those that do not know this is off limits fishing from a boat . Hit one of the bridges with high hopes of encountering big schools of some slabs. The fishing was tough and the wind held strong with periods of quiet water and big down pours mixed in. Caught a couple of dozen with about 6-8 good fish mixed in. My shoulder got sore from casting and called it a day. Not a bad day in unfavorable weather. FB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    " If you are lucky enough to be fishing, you are lucky enough"
    Likes papadave LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The bridges can be hit or miss but when they're on it's a blast! At least you got a place to hide from the rain.
    You just gonna sit there an argue, or fish?
    ~Claud Ledbetter~
    Likes CrappieTuttle LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you all park at the bridges, i have never fished at Hyco even though i live near Roxboro . What is best bait this time of year jigs or minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Parking for the southernmost bridge on 57 is on the road leading to the powerplant. Turn right just before the bridge, you can't miss it. If you fish this bridge a small step ladder is helpful on the south side, steep & slippery. Across the bridge is riprap and you can walk down to the water.
    Parking for the 2nd bridge is tough, I just skip it.
    You can park near the northernmost bridge at the store(if they aren't busy) or on the shoulder of the road that leads to the park. (Many folks also fish the docks.)

Minnows & jigs both work, it just depends on the day. Also pitching a small kastmaster spoon or one of the large roostertails can produce some fine white bass along with crappie. Best colors are white, followed by white, with white & silver as 3rd choice.

Best times I've found is when the weather is nastiest ........ a little snow & sleet or cold wind seems to concentrate the bait & the crappie around the bridges.

Please carry out all your trash ... we try to get a plastic shopping bag or 2 extra each time we go.
    You just gonna sit there an argue, or fish?
    ~Claud Ledbetter~