Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Likes" system and other misc site issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Likes" system and other misc site issues

For those that might have missed it. Our server had a little bit of a hiccup. Thursday night I performed a required software upgrade on the server and it broke our old "Likes" system (it broke a lot more actually, and I was up all night fixing stuff). Well normally that would not be a problem, I woulda probably just installed a patch for that broken software and it woulda worked. Well, turns out, the "Likes" software I was using is no longer available (their website is even down). So I have no way to get support for that software.

It's disconcerting that something like that happened because it was software that I paid for. But I have absolutely no recourse. Companies go out of business all the time.

Anyway, I found new software to implement "Likes" with, and I've done so. I'm not 100% happy with it, but it's all I could find. It's also something I paid for, so we can thank all the "Supporting Members" for covering that cost.

I'm still making changes to this new software so please bear with me. You can post questions about any of this here in this thread.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

bflowers is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Slab, we know you are doing your best. I appreciate you!!!!!

Buster
    ​COURTESY,LOYALTY,SERVICE, & HONOR
    Likes "G", blueball, satdoc1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We love to poke fun at you Ed but the hard work you do is greatly appreciated
    Likes blueball, "G", satdoc1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon guys and gals, gimme some likes here, lets see how this thing works.

One thing that I've opened a support ticket on is, when you click Like, nothing happens. You have to refresh the page to see the like. And I don't like that.

It's weird cause when you unlike a post, it's removed immediately, and you can see that. The problem not seeing that you clicked like is, you will tend to click it twice, and when you do that you are actually "liking it, and then unliking it". Weird system they got. Hopefully I can get that fixed.
    Owner

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Worked for me. And you're right clicking it twice does remove it. Thanks for you're hard work. Really enjoy the site. On here every day.
    Likes "G", Slab, fishervet, litewirehooker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and there's still another two pieces of software I need to fix after that Thursday night upgrade fiasco. There's a cache system that helps performance that's still down, and I can't update the advanced search's index. So new posts won't sho in the advanced search yet.

And the other issue is google search. That broken software I mentioned in the first also messed up my URLs (web page addresses). I fixed some, but Google still points to web pages that don't exist anymore. Well, they don't exist by the old name. I already submitted a new site map to google, and eventually they will get their site updated, and it'll all be good. But until then, there might be broken links on googles search engine if you use that. Same holds true for Bing and other search engines.
    Owner
    Likes "G", fishervet, Redge LIKED above post

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing a great job getting it all back together. Thanks for your work.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You da man!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    For those that might have missed it. Our server had a little bit of a hiccup. Thursday night I performed a required software upgrade on the server and it broke our old "Likes" system (it broke a lot more actually, and I was up all night fixing stuff). Well normally that would not be a problem, I woulda probably just installed a patch for that broken software and it woulda worked. Well, turns out, the "Likes" software I was using is no longer available (their website is even down). So I have no way to get support for that software.

It's disconcerting that something like that happened because it was software that I paid for. But I have absolutely no recourse. Companies go out of business all the time.

Anyway, I found new software to implement "Likes" with, and I've done so. I'm not 100% happy with it, but it's all I could find. It's also something I paid for, so we can thank all the "Supporting Members" for covering that cost.

I'm still making changes to this new software so please bear with me. You can post questions about any of this here in this thread.
    We appreciate all your efforts my friend. Have a blessed and Merry Christmas.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes catch fillet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    We appreciate all your efforts my friend. Have a blessed and Merry Christmas.
    +1 !!!

Likes blueball, Inspector Mike, Scoot LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast