Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dont hold line reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default dont hold line reels

these spinning reels with the finger button curious to know if they hold up or does anybody like or dislike them
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

They are junk,stay away. If you fish often and fish hard they will self destruct. Too many moving parts and you never see those gadgets on anyones high end reels. JMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cheez
    They are junk,stay away. If you fish often and fish hard they will self destruct. Too many moving parts and you never see those gadgets on anyones high end reels. JMHO
    I second that and I learned the hard way. If you go spinning, avoid the finger gadget b/c it is junk.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a reel with one first thing i do is remove it. I have ABU -Garica's that don't have them.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Casting trigger ??

Quote Originally Posted by painterfish
    these spinning reels with the finger button curious to know if they hold up or does anybody like or dislike them

Is that what you're referring to, as a "finger button" ??
    Like what's on this reel:

Let's see:
    I've got a couple of Shimano Spirex 2000 reels, both with it, and I use them strictly for casting ...... they're two of my "better" reels, and I have had zero problems from them. All my other spinning reels are manual bail types, no trigger, and I use them for multiple methods (including casting). The biggest "difference" (positive ?) in spinning reels without triggers ... is probably the "instant anti-reverse". "Triggered" reels will turn backwards, in order to center the trigger at the top of the reel (so your finger can engage it) .... and this can be a negative in certain situations.
    I don't mind them ... and I wouldn't refrain from purchasing a reel, just because it had one. I've only had a problem with one "trigger" reel ..... the Quantum Hypercast. The "trigger" is not part of the bail system ... it's embedded into the foot shaft of the reel, and is too close to my fingers (when holding the reel). The "firing pin", which holds the line (once the trigger is pulled/engaged), didn't always keep the line ... and too great of a percentage of my casts were errant (or never even got "started", since the line slipped off the pin so often). This was with the "original", first made ones from years ago ... so I don't know about any possible improvements/changes that may have been made, since. (I took mine back for a refund :D )
    I like my Spirex's ... more for their dual handle, large spool, smooth drag, and quality ... than for the "trigger" mechanism. I could live with or without it. ... cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a problem with Shimano's "quick fire".
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I've never had a problem with Shimano's "quick fire".
    Same here, the "quick fire" Shimano's have never given me any trouble. Also the Quantum Hypercasts have served me well for the past 3 years. This said though, I have had trouble on Quantum Snapshot I reels. The Snapshot II is better than the I but the Hypercast is altogether a better reel since all of it's moving parts are inside the reel. If you are going to do a lot of casting go with a Shimano (they range anywhere from $25-$90 depending on model) if you are using them for your long rods (some casting, all bobber fishing and tightlining) give the hypercast a try ($25).

Post Thanks / Like

I too have numerous snapshots and quickfires. No Problems here and I fish 250+ days a year! Regular cleaning and oiling helps I"m sure.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano's w/ the quickfire are the way to go. I have 2 quantums that have started to act up after years of use (and abuse), but my Shimano Sidestab is my oldest and most reliable reel I own.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knuckle buster

I always have these things bust my knuckles when I crank. I can live without them!
    Secretary of Da Fish!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast