Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing small jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing small jigs

Over the summer I got on a kick of buying a bunch of 1/8,1/16,1/32 jigs and a lot of pretty grubs and just about anything that someone reported having luck with. i have a lot of pretty colors. My problem is, I have confidence in minnows and not jigs. i don't know what my presentation should be when fishing these light jigs. I am more confident when My line is down, and not at an angle to the boat, which always happens with light jigs and boat movement. My question is, when fishing small jigs, do you have to keep a tight downline, or is it ok to have an angle in my line.? (do I worry too much?)

Post Thanks / Like

An angle in your line is fine. Just remember that the greater the angle, the shallower your bait is going to run so you will need to compensate. You can also add a small splitshot to keep your line vertical if the smaller jig is absolutely necessary. I normally use a larger jig head when I am fishing deeper brush, and that helps keep the line vertical. Sometimes they just want the smaller profile, and thats when I will add the splitshot.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

I take it you add the split shot to the line, maintaining the jigs small profile. So how far up the line do you place the split shot?. Or does it really matter?

Post Thanks / Like

I would place the weight below the jig to keep from interfering with the action of the jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo Greybeard View Post
    I would place the weight below the jig to keep from interfering with the action of the jig.
    That is an option, but I normally just put it about 18" above the jig.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the help

I will try the added weight next time out. Maybe even a two jig rig. Here in North Carolina, it is almost always windy and makes it hard to keep a light jig down in the zone ( pontoon boat). Thanks again. Was really wondering about the angle.

Post Thanks / Like

When i saw the name of this thread I was thinking small jigs, not to be a smart a** , but small to me is 1/124 and 1/80 on a size 10 hook, does anybody else go this small?
    Likes love2fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by jamiefranklin View Post
    When i saw the name of this thread I was thinking small jigs, not to be a smart a** , but small to me is 1/124 and 1/80 on a size 10 hook, does anybody else go this small?
    I didn't know they came that small! Might have to try those under a bobber.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

You need light line if you fish light jigs, heavier lines make getting deep a problem sometimes.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crewmax42 View Post
    Over the summer I got on a kick of buying a bunch of 1/8,1/16,1/32 jigs and a lot of pretty grubs and just about anything that someone reported having luck with. i have a lot of pretty colors. My problem is, I have confidence in minnows and not jigs. i don't know what my presentation should be when fishing these light jigs. I am more confident when My line is down, and not at an angle to the boat, which always happens with light jigs and boat movement. My question is, when fishing small jigs, do you have to keep a tight downline, or is it ok to have an angle in my line.? (do I worry too much?)
    IMHO .... that would depend on "how" you were fishing. If you're trolling, you need extra weight only when you need to get the jig to stay down deeper than you can without it ... in relation to the speed in which you can effectively control your boat. If you're vertical jigging, boat movement causes a problem, so you may have to use a heavier jig.

I, for one, use most of the jigs or jigheads and "pretty colors" plastics that I have ... mostly when I'm casting. They're generally 1/32 & 1/16oz weedless jig heads/plastic bodies. If I'm trolling, it's generally a 1/16oz Roadrunner, Whirly Bee Pro, or a 1/16oz hair/feather jig (not weedless).

Like you, it never seems to be calm when I'm fishing ... and if it is, when or where I'm fishing, the wind seems to know that & comes and finds me So, I do sometimes add a split shot sinker up the line above the jig (~12") ... but, only on the one rod/reel I have that has 10/2 PowerPro braid. On it, even light taps will transmit as pretty hard "thumps". When using the outfits with hi-vis mono, I don't try to "feel" the bite, but watch the line for any movement that I know I didn't cause. I cast the jig out, raise the rod tip up to about the 10 o:clock position, engage the reel & start my retrieve. I only reel fast enough to keep a slight bow in the line, and I watch the line for any slight jumps/jerks or a sudden slack in the line (when I know the jig couldn't possibly be on the bottom). Any of those "movements" in the line indicates a strike, and I set the hook immediately upon seeing them.

And ... if you like using minnows, or have more confidence in them :
    Ain't no law says you can't put a minnow on your jig or jighead/plastic grub or a plain jighead ... & cast, troll, spider rig, vertical jig, deadstick it, or even fish it under a bobber !! You simply run the hook up from under the minnows mouth (in the V shaped section of its throat) and bring the hook out between the minnow's nostrils.

I'm not all that good at math, but I do know that any boat movement is going to produce a angle in your line ... even if you're using several ounces of weight. The prime factor in that scenario is that you understand that 10ft of line out is not putting the jig at a 10ft depth. You have to consider the distance between the rod tip & the surface of the water, when fishing straight down ... and you have to consider that the greater the angle of the line, the less depth your jig is running in. You compensate for those situations by letting out more line, equal to the distance needed to reach the depth you want your jig to be. That's where the "math" comes in ... and, though I'm sure there's an equation that would quickly tell you the depth of your jig, in relation to the length of line out & the angle of that line ... I don't know what it is But, then I'm not normally trolling or dragging my jigs or minnows around, so I don't fret over it all that much.

... cp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast