Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Lake Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kentucky Lake Crappie

I am heading to KY lake Oct 19-21 to take my girlfriend crappie fishing. I have never been crappie fishing at KY lake and was wondering if anone could give me some advice. We are staying at KY Dam Marina. How deep are the crappie? What are some good areas close to KY Dam Marina. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jamie,
    When you come out of Ky. Dam Marina and take a right, the first big bay you will come to is Sledd Creek. Talk to a guy this weekend who fished there and said he didn't catch a crappie. Sledd Creek is just a big soup bowl anyway. A buddy and I fished Jonathan and we caught a lot of little fish and 8 keepers out of 6 to 8 feet of water. The fish should start moving shallow any day now so where ever you go, start at about 5 to 6 feet early in the morning and work your way out. I know that sounds odd but it has been my experience that every fall when the water cools down the fish move shallow. They seem to like flats when the water is cooling. I showed the water temp to be 59 to 63 degrees depending on where I was in the bay. Also the water clarity has been somewhat muddy. It's not as bad in the bigger bays. The color that seemed to work best for us was a Lime/Chart jig with a red head. Tried them with orange heads and different shades of chartruse but those colors didn't pan out as well. Hope this helps!
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Best I Can Do

Hey Jamie this is Wiskers. I'm a Towboater & when I left to catch the boat I was catching fish in 8' to 12' of water. I am sure that since the water has cooled about 8 degrees since I left that the fish are moving into the bays and shallower. I wish I was gonna be off of the boat when you were there but I don't get home till 10/24. I don't live but about 8 miles from KDM. I would be happy to try to show you around a little. Maybe next time.

This is the best I can offer. I would try dippng a minnow and/or jig around the boat docks at the marina. Try a slip float and try different depths. The #4dock is a good one to try. There are some good brush piles all over the marina. I could show them to ya but its hard to tell you. You'll just have to snoop around, they're there. Try a little back off the banks across from the boat ramp & along the breakwalls at the mouth. There is also a good brush pile around the first "No Wake" buoy you come to going out. It should be in about 11' to 12' of water. When you find a brush pile start shallow & work deeper.

Sledd Creek is just upstream of Kentucky dam a couple of miles. Try fishing around the points and steak beds. There is also a fish attractor close to the little island about half way back & to the left. As far as Sledd being a "soup bowl" I don't know what that means. I have been fishing that bay for over 40 years & it is one of my favorite bays. I rarely go there & not catch fish. I do a lot of spider riggn' in that bay & catch some good fish. After this rain the bay may be a little stained or even muddy. If it is don't overlook the steak beds in the back of the bay. Try to use a long pole or cast to them to avoid spooking fish. BTW, Sledd is also one of the 2 bays that the KY. department of fish and wildlife chose to study crappie movement.

I have also had good luck this time of the year dipp'n around the boat slips in green turtle bay marina on Barkley. I hope you & your girlfriend catch a lot of fish and you have some good weather. Nothing like getting a girlfriend or wife hooked on fish'n. My wife is my best friend but won't get in the boat if the temp is below 75!!! LOL She don't know what she's miss'n!!! Good Luck!!!
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

He he... why can't everybody give directions like Wiskers!

Love it!
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxingref_rick
    He he... why can't everybody give directions like Wiskers!

Love it!
    I get as much joy out of seeing others catch fish as I get catching them myself. I hope they beat'm up!!!:D

Thanks!
    :D
    Last edited by Wiskers; 10-18-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone..... I will let you all know how we faired!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help. Ashley and I did pretty well considering I have never been crappie fishing at KY Lake. Ashley caught two huge KY Lake Slabs each going over 2 lbs. She was super excited. She had never been crappie fishing before! I think I have crappie fishing partner now! Anyway, we caught them in Sledd Creek about 5ft deep on brush and stake beds. It was a great time and we can't wait to go back. It is a pretty good drive (3.75 Hrs) from Lexington but well worth it. I bet the fishing (numbers) are better in the spring. Below are a couple of pics from the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice!!

Way to go guys and gals!! It's nice to see people come together to help others catch some fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on some great looking fish. Have you ever tried Cave Run not nearly as far and I have caught some nice ones out of there in the past.
    Hope your lines stay wet and your livewells full.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Way to go

I just got home off the boat & I was wondering how yall did. Great!:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast