Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Great Day on the Water - And a few Fish too

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Day on the Water - And a few Fish too

Nice as could be with calm breeze and good temps . . . hope a lot of you guys got out. These nice fall days are wonderful my favorite time of the year. Got on the water about 10:00 and finished about 3:00. Kept 6 nice crappie (one 12in by the boat ruler) released another one about the same size before decided to keep a few. Was in the trees up just off the bottom on white/chart. tube little movement as possible. Was at Hargis Watershed near Wellington. Bet those able to get out today did well.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report!! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been to Hargis Creek in a year or two. Heard you can do pretty good crappie fishing their in spring or fall when they are really shallow. Most of my trips down their were in winter or early spring and caught more catfish than crappie. Talking to the biologist of the lake a couple years ago the lake was packed full of shad, so the crappie were never really hungry for artificial lures when shad were so plentiful and easy pickings.
    Sounds like you did pretty well in my book.
    Thanks for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, you're right about the shad being packed a couple of years ago and the crappie were sure thick shouldered. . . not so much this year, don't know if the drought had anything to do with it. I mainly use jigs and plastic. Did try minners one time this year but couldn't keep the cats away.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, from my personal experience, the shad at hargis creek are very thick. I have ran through a couple of schools of them chopping them up with my trolling motor on my crawdad boat. The only problem was I couldn't catch any crappie. I found them all near the dam with sonar but they didn't want to bite plastics.

Post Thanks / Like

Mighty try a jigging spoon, sometimes when they aren't willing to hit a jig you can trigger reacton strikes with th spoon. Worth a try, plus you get to try something new. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

seen those spoons work like magic before tried them for 2 or 3 hrs at the loz last week nada nada on bout everything else though

Post Thanks / Like

It seems I catch more on spoons when the bite is tough and you have tried your normal arsenal. I also like them fishing schools of shad in open water.