Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Trip Report, Barron Fork

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak Trip Report, Barron Fork

I’ve got a crew replacing the septic system field lines at my house tomorrow, so I made a quick trip to Barron Fork to pick up some fish for a lunch time fish fry for the workmen. The Crappie and everything else were on the North side of the slough. The wind had pushed the shad into the bank and the Crappie, bass, catfish and gills were all working them hard. I kept 20 Crappie and 5 catfish before a started throwing fish back. I even ended up catching 10 or 12 small bass. The best bait was a 1/16oz, white marabou jig in white. I ran 6 poles spider rigging with my jigs about 12 inches deep in 18 inches of water. The water was 75 to 76 degrees and the shad were bunched up in huge schools. The slough is down about 2 feet, once it drops another foot or so this spot will be done until next spring.

I’m surprised from my post that someone hasn’t hit this spot, LOL! I put back a couple of 15 inch Crappie again. Might be the same ones from before, I hope they’re still there and a couple inches longer next spring. I’ve promised myself that the first 18 inch Crappie I catch will go on the wall.

Name:  131003.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  59.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, thanks Ditch. Do you free spool the fish once you have them on so you can get them in the boat. Seems that with only 12" of line in the water on any pole longer than 6' this could be a trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob D,

I use Pflueger Cetina Underspin reels with 6 pound test line. I never cast with them but they are the best reels I have found for a consistent drag. I run ultra lite 10 foot rods. With this combo I never have a Crappie pull out. I maintain pressure with the rod and strip line with the drag to net the fish. Surprisingly I routinely get in 6 to 8 pound Channelcats with this same setup If they don't get in the brush. The fish yesterday were chasing the shad shallow. When a bass or strip would make a run through the schools of shad I'd have shad jumping out of the water and land in my kayak. One of the few times that I can remember it raining shad, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

PM Sent

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe sunday ditch, been so long since i wet a hook im in withdrawals. Might have to put off till next weekend too, but im getting the fever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch Basser View Post
    With this combo I never have a Crappie pull out.
    You are def. the man!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Ok. seldom pull out, LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the market for a new kayak this winter. When I get it I'll give you a yell for some custom rod holders.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried some of this skinny water stuff tonight for about 2 hours before dark. Only managed one short white crappie, but it was a hoot. I need to go out with the pro to get schooled up on this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch Basser View Post
    I'm in the market for a new kayak this winter. When I get it I'll give you a yell for some custom rod holders.
    10-4, just let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast