Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My slab bandits keep spinning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! My slab bandits keep spinning

I noticed that some of my slab bandits tails are bent from the shipping package and even more so from keeping them in the storage bins I use for my jig bodies. They are sitting right and I hook them straight making sure the hook exits the body in the center when viewed from the top and side. 1/32 and 1/16 round head sickle jigs so nothing odd there. Whats happening is the bent tail acts like a rudder and they are spiraling down and spin like crazy when I retrieve them causing all kinds of nasty line twist. Has anyone else experience this and have a solution? I was thinking about microwaving them or heating them up and laying them flat, not sure if heat would effect or soften the plastic. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

hot water bath, then lay them flat to dry
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought twenty + bags and I have quit using them for the same reason!!!!! If you use a leader tie a swivel in line to help with twisting. I just threw mine in the junk box...as I don't intend to place another weak spot (swivel) or knot in my line. I use the Spiderwire flou. green line and have not been able to tell a difference in fish caught. I have even spooled 6lb. Trilene xl on one rod and caught just as many fish on the Spiderwire,fishing same brush pile. I would pitch the same bait on each, just as many fish on one as the other......

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Do what bfish said. Good hot water bath will straighten them right out and not mess them up.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Like other two guys said. Hot water lay flat to dry. These are great baits and catch lot of fish. Should have no problem once you heat them up little!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess this weekend I'll be making some slab bandit soup!
    Trying the hot water trick is certainly better than not being able to use them. Hope it works.

Post Thanks / Like

I see this is an older thread, but take a pot of water to a boil. Remove from heat and add slab bandits for 60 seconds. Lay out flat on a cookie and put them in the freezer for 10 minutes.

When putting them back in the package add a few drops of olive oil so they can move around and lay flat. I've been doing this for years now.

Great bait but they really need to be straight to catch Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    I see this is an older thread, but take a pot of water to a boil. Remove from heat and add slab bandits for 60 seconds. Lay out flat on a cookie and put them in the freezer for 10 minutes.

When putting them back in the package add a few drops of olive oil so they can move around and lay flat. I've been doing this for years now.

I am sure olive oil works great but I also find mineral oil is great also with little, or no, scent.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

What kind and brand of cookie do you lay them on? :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I heard tell the microwave on a dinner plate and mineral oil to lube them .
    my largest black crappie and largest white crappie in the last 10 years both came off Crazy Angler baits and slab bandits are in fact real good baits .
    I was using the Crawler he makes on my large fish ,but myself and a few of my buds still dip slab bandits as well .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast