Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Well finally bought final piece to upgraded 958 HD DI Combo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well finally bought final piece to upgraded 958 HD DI Combo

I already sold my 1197 and got the 1198 for the console, then added the iLink to my Terrova and now taking off the LCX 27c on the front and just ordered the 958 HD DI combo for the front. So can't use he Universal transducer now so will have to strap on the transducer, but that will be worth it I hope.

Only thing now os having to set up all the little changes after updating the 1198 again and I don't even know what all the guy at that last school I went to changed. I ask him to make a darn list of that stuff because they constantly send new updates which means of course resetting all to the defaults, uggg!

thinking I will enjoy all this being hooked together now for the first time.

oh yeah can anyone tell me if I need to have the puck some distance from the unit? Right now the LCX 27c has it's puck at the back and I need this one to be up front.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I was always of the thought that you wanted the GPS puck as close to the transducer as possible. This way when you mark something you are as close to true location as possible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toofuss View Post
    I was always of the thought that you wanted the GPS puck as close to the transducer as possible. This way when you mark something you are as close to true location as possible
    Yes definitely, as close as possible.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys, I was thinking that I may have heard something about not being too close. So I just may have just not have read something when I was not paying attention to that since i didn't have one close at all.

i don't have a really large deck area and have the TM already there and the Sonar unit and two places for lights. I have the Nav light socket and also another socket for a remote spot light. Sure will not leave a lot of room to step there, LOL!

Peak Vise Dealer

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Something to ponder on skip...

The 958c HD DI combo comes stock with the XNT 9 DI T which has the beams indicated in the following depiction...

There is nothing wrong with this xducer and it's potential ...except for the fact that the 2d beam angles in the XNT 9 DI T are 16° for the 455kHz 2d beam and 25° for the 200kHz 2d beam...very small cone angles...

These stock beam angles are awesome for higher detail in the 2d cones ...but some would much rather have the standard 20° 200kHz 2d beam and the 60° 83kHz 2d beam to see fish farther out in the 60° 83kHz beam...

This can be accomplished by the addition of the HB AS SIDB Y cable in your DI unit setup...

The AS SIDB Y cable disconnects the 2d channels going to the stock XNT 9 DI T xducer and instead connects the 2d channels thru the 2nd leg of the AS SIDB Y cable...

Hooking this 2d leg of the AS SIDB Y cable to the US2 would allow the DI unit to effectively get it's DI data from the stock XNT 9 DI T xducer...and get the 2d data from the US2 Dual Beam 200/83kUz crystal...

The only change in the unit itself would be setting the "Transducer Select" menu under the "Sonar" tab to to "DI + 200/83"...

It's just a thought ...if you'd rather have the capabilities of the wider 2d beams in the US2....along with your 958c HD DI Combo setup...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 09-29-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Is there enough room to mount this transducer without blocking the US2? I can see where that wold be better too! Thanks for the info, I would have never know probably. Are all the units like that?

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Is there enough room to mount this transducer without blocking the US2? I can see where that wold be better too! Thanks for the info, I would have never know probably. Are all the units like that?
    There should be enough room with this HB TM adapter hardware..
    AD XTM 9 :: Humminbird

Or with this shield from Transducer Shield and Saver...
    Transducer Shield and Saver - See More Fish, Catch More Fish! - TM-DI

There are only 5 models of HB DI units that can utilize the AS SIDB Y cable to get 2d sonar data from a HB Dual Beam 200/83 xducer...

858c DI Combo
    858c HD DI Combo
    958c DI Combo
    958c HD DI Combo
    1158c DI Combo...

These are the only HB DI units that have a "Transducer Select" menu setting choice for "DI + 200/83"...

Rickie
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

There is yet another option that you may also consider...

HB will trade xducer's for a new unopened xducer...(I don't know about boot $)..

HB offers a TM mount DI xducer called the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T ...

It is already designed for TM application....(with the included screw clamp)...

It already has the 200/83kHz 2d crystal along with the DI crystal...this option would eliminate the need for the AS SIDB Y cable and the US2...

With the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T ...the "Transducer Select" menu would still need to be set for "DI + 200/83"...

This option is probably a little more user friendly by not needing the extra AS SIDB Y cable...or the extra TM adapting hardware...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 09-29-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the really good info, not sure what I will do, but at least I know the options now.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer