Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: N of Miller's Ferry Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default N of Miller's Ferry Report

First let me say - No Crappie Again! I admit not knowing what I'm doing and this time I took the kayak which has no fish finder capabilities (yet) The area is new to me and I have no spots so heres what I got:
    Fished Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in White Oak creek. - weather was HOT and water temp was 87
    Caught lots of shell crackers around the banks but they were
    all small. Four keeper bass and a six pd flathead kept us fed. Hooked a few
    better sized bass but couldn't get them in the kayak. The spoonbill catfish were
    jumping everywhere, some looked to be over 30 pds. Not sure why their protected
    because they seemed to be plentiful. Almost had one jump in the yak with me.
    Coulda probably caught more catfish but would have required checking the noodles
    after dark which didn't seem like a good idea in a kayak after seeing a few nice
    gators in the area. Try it again in a month, after the weather cools off

Post Thanks / Like

Look for your deeper holes with no or little current. In the fall when I lived in Missouri I'd paddle miles of river only fishing where I saw leafs on the surface, deeper water and brush. In many of the rivers I fished the water would only be maybe 6 foot deep and you would seldom find the Crappie shallower than that 6 foot mark. Any current at all and the Crappie weren't there. This allow you to eliminate 95% of the water. Good luck and keep after them!

Post Thanks / Like

Ditch Basser that's some good advice. I like the leafs on the surface never thought about that.

Post Thanks / Like

The river's that I fished in Missouri had good current and lots of rocks. In the fall the leaves would build up anywhere the current was slack or there was an eddy. It was a dead giveaway if the water was deep enough.