Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Trip Report, Bradford Sink on Redstone

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak Trip Report, Bradford Sink on Redstone

I fished Bradford sinks on Redstone Arsenal this morning from 6:30AM till around 10:30AM. I found the Black Crappie again off the Lilly Pads but all were 8” to 9” so I went looking for some larger fish. After a couple of hours I found some White Crappie suspended in open water. I kept 20 and returning many, many more back for another day. Best bait was a 1/16oz white marabou jig about 36” deep. The Crappie were skinny, but seem health other wise. I returned two Crappie that were around 15”. I look forward to catching them in the spring.

Name:  130915.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  55.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking fish. I caught myself looking at some kayaks the other day sure looks like it would be fun, and would be great exploring new spots.

Post Thanks / Like

nice catch ditch
    If there is light in the soul, there will be beauty in the person.
    If there is beauty in the person, there will be harmony in the house.
    If there is harmony in the house, there will be order in the nation.
    If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world

Post Thanks / Like

nice!
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch ditch!

Post Thanks / Like

DO they post the opening date for the sinks on the MWR site, or do you call to see when it is open?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BensGoneFishing View Post
    DO they post the opening date for the sinks on the MWR site, or do you call to see when it is open?
    See the range report here: Hunting and Fishing

They usually don't know if it will be open until Friday afternoon. Not sure how quickly they update the site.

Post Thanks / Like

Good report and pics.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I usually call outdoor Rec on Redstone around 2:30PM or 3:00PM on Fridays to see if Bradford is open on Saturday. The big pain is you have to get the pass from the sportsman center and return it at the end of the day. Since they don't open till 9:30AM they will let you get a pass for the next day. I have enough spots that I usually only get a pass unless I'm already on Redstone and Bradford will be open the next day. Bradford is like most of the sloughs I fish, the few boats are drawn to the laydowns on the edges, but the better fish are swimming the open water. Since the water is shallow trolling motors will usually spook the fish. I had a small flat bottom boat working the same end of Bradford Sunday with me. He was using the same bait and fishing the same depth. Every time he got within 50 feet of me the bite would shut down for a few minutes. Once he had moved on I'd start back catching fish two and three at a time. He'd ease back over and the fish would shut down again. We must have went through two dozen iterations of this before the guy left. My oldest daughter was with me in another kayak and joked I had a switch to turn off the bite when he got close, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. To get back there, you take the dirt road just inside gate 7, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast