Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kayak Trip Report, Lilly Pond

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak Trip Report, Lilly Pond

I fished Lilly Pond today, finally. Every time I’ve tried to make it to Lilly this year something has came up. I usually start out sight fishing looking for the baitfish and activity associated with Crappie feeding. There was a light breeze in the water this morning so you couldn’t look for activity. I ended up blindly dragging jigs for several hours with very little luck. I ended up with a dozen or so throw backs and three that would measure. The water was 77 degrees on the surface.

FYI
    , chased jugs for a couple hours to refilled my freezer with catfish before the winter. I know this is a Crappie forum, but if anyone is looking for a quick and easy mess of Channel Cats then Lilly is the place.

I’m going to go back over to Bradford sinks on Redstone Arsenal in the morning and see how I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  130914.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  62.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Ain't nothing wrong with some cats. I like to have a few for the freezer also.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Cats but sure glad I didn't have to skin them! Lotta Work!!

Post Thanks / Like

What size cooler did you have on the yak to keep all those cats?

Post Thanks / Like

I made two trip to my vehicle off loading fish. On the final trip I even had three cats behind my seat that wouldn't fit in the cooler, LOL By the way, it's taken some practice but I use an electric filet knife to clean my Catfish just like Crappie. You're going to loose a little meat, but it makes cleaning very quick.

Post Thanks / Like

NICE! What bait are you using for the jugs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch Basser View Post
    I made two trip to my vehicle off loading fish. On the final trip I even had three cats behind my seat that wouldn't fit in the cooler, LOL By the way, it's taken some practice but I use an electric filet knife to clean my Catfish just like Crappie. You're going to loose a little meat, but it makes cleaning very quick.
    .........Now wait a minute! I'm afraid my ancestors may roll over in their graves if I was to try and put an electric knife to a catfish.... I just cant figure why I never thought about doing it that way. I may have to give that a shot - Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

just old shirmp for bait, nothing special.

Post Thanks / Like

The electric knife thing takes a few fish to figure out.The same area that's hard to cut through with a regular knife is still a painat the start of the ribs. I just use a pair of shears for quartering chicken tocut through these bones. The funny thing is if you let the catfish sit on ice forhalf a day most of the skin will easily separate with the knife just likecleaning Crappie or gills. Any skin that’s left you just clean up with a pairof skinning pliers.