Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fattest fish I ever saw

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fattest fish I ever saw

Yesterday we went to the Osage fishing. Tried bass but they didn't want to cooperate. Then we floated down the river while dragging worms on the bottom. I caught a 5 lb. drum and that was the fattest fish I have ever saw. The belly was about to pop and it was as tall up and down as it was long. Dummy me didn't take a pic of it. It looked deformed. We decided the belly was probably full of broken up muscle shells. I also caught a 5 lb. blue cat and it's belly was about to pop too. When we got home husband was cleaning them and the drum had a few broken muscle shells in it but most of the bulge was just plain fat. It had fat everywhere on it. Never saw anything like it before. The catfish belly was also just fat. I don't know what all they had been eating but they reminded me of a bear fattening up for the winter. If I ever catch 1 like that again I will take its pic. Maybe the Asian carp are making them fat. Caught a skipjack and cut it up for bait and couldn't give it away. Nothing wanted it. What we did catch was on worms.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like ya'all had fun, anyways. I'd sure like to get down there and try for some skippies!

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perchplucker View Post
    When we got home husband was cleaning them and the drum had
    Cleaning a drum for what? A concert???

Post Thanks / Like

To eat. They taste fine. I always cut the red meat out but I do that on all fish. It makes all of them taste better.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, perch. not my favorite brand to eat, but still good. I think a drum and a large white bass are very similar in taste and texture. get rid of that ol red meat and fry it up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by south point View Post
    I agree, perch. not my favorite brand to eat, but still good. I think a drum and a large white bass are very similar in taste and texture. get rid of that ol red meat and fry it up!
    Same here.... Back before dad and I got "civilized" we'd eat drum, common carp, buffalo and other assorted creatures of the muddy lagoon (ol Miss). "Ain't scared" dad would always say as he handed me a piece @ 5 A.M. after running lines all night.

U

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, if you can eat a catfish, you can eat a drum.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't beat a catfish, but you can beat a drum.