Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of my woolly bug

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think of my woolly bug

I just thought of joining or making a cross between a fly and jig to see what it looked like and now would like your opinion of it.

Then this natural jig using partridge feathers & hand painted eyes?

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

All I got to say is your are good!

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I bet the hackle will slow the fall of the jig. Which should be a good thing. Have you seen if it spins when it falls in the water? If it glides I bet it would bet it would work like a charm...

~Fishin' Magician~

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words creekslick I do appreciate it.

Fishin Magician, I have not had time or the water to give it a try yet and with Toledo Bend being so low it may be a wile before I get to try it. I think you are right about slowing the fall a little and I sure hope it does not spin. I will probable use it some slow trolling as well and any other method I can think of.

I thought for some time now wile looking at some fly tying I have been thinking in the back of my head that doing this should make it look even more like a bug and then would work very well. I have already been thinking of more colors to try. FL. Yellow body with brown hackle and maybe a Fl. Yellow tail or pink body with blue hackle and blue tail. Oh too many to list, LOL!

Oh can't forget black body with hot pink hackle and tail.

Thanks for the input!

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

i like it very much. when do they go on the market? Will you have different colors?
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

How long does it take you to make one of those?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I will have different colors and this was my first one.

mduncan62 it took me a little longer than a normal one, but not a lot more.

I do have to take several steps with the eyes on the one that I painted them on as they are a pain and I have to coat them like the next day after the paint has cured.

I guess the easiest way to answer is that I can't tie as many per hour of these(woolly bugs), but not a lot less, maybe 10 instead of 15-20 an hour. However I am not really sure since this is my first one. I think as long as I don't add eyes to the woolly bug I think they will get to where I can tie almost as many per hour as the normal ones. I know they will always take a little more time, but if they do a better job of catching fish (I probably will not know myself first hand until next spring unless I go over to Rayburn) it will not matter.

I am also thinking of a better/faster way to tie them.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

very nice, those should fill the cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Skipto,
    I bet it must be fun to not only catch fish but to catch them on a jig that you made yourself. Good work!
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Skip you tie the prettiest jigs I've ever seen. I don't know if they catch fish or not but they are sure fun to look at. I'm not to sure about those jigs with the long feathered tails. I think the fish would chew them to pieces in no time. I like the top pictured jig though. You should go after the steelhead crowd. Fishing for trout with jigs is really taking off and those trout fishermen spend some dough when they buy tackle unlike most of us cheapskate crappie fishermen. Well, im a trout fisherman too but I'm a cheapskate trout fisherman too. If you find a following in the trout fishing crowd online and tie jigs that slaughter the steelhead and browns it wouln't surprise me if those guys would pay $4-$5 per jig.

Hardcore trout fishermen are kinda like golfers. A lot of them have more money than brains. I suppose I better qualify that statement - lol. There are a lot of golfers that spend 2-10k on clubs bags shoes clothes memberships at country clubs and then play twice a year and have to re shaft thier clubs because of all the shanks.

Trout fisherman are often similar. They spend 800 for rod reel line, 250 for neoprene waders and more for vest, tools, and a load on flies. 40k on a suburban and more on tents, on and on and on. Then go out there and wrap thier leaders around branches all day 3 times a year, but they will still drop the bucks on more and more stuff so they look like real fishermen and look cool to thier buddies and the other guys on the stream. Not that real fishermen won't buy em too. I just think there is a market out there for them.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast