Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: size and orientation of images

Post Thanks / Like

Default size and orientation of images

any way to tell the size of a tree lay down and the orientation of how it's laying, using the down image or screen shots?
    G3PO

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Whoa there, Brett ....

Quote Originally Posted by brettw View Post
    any way to tell the size of a tree lay down and the orientation of how it's laying, using the down image or screen shots?
    Now you're wanting TOO much ....

If I ever got to a lake with crystal clear water and find a tree on the bottom, I'll take several screenshots from different approach angles & see if the "orientation" is definable on the screen. Not sure about being able to tell the length, as I don't know if boat speed has any effect on the size of the piece of cover (tree) on the screen, in relation to actual length. If there is, I'm sure there's a mathematical equation to determine the length ... I'm just not a big enough geek to know what it might be

See if you can determine the length of the tree laying on top of this brush pile, in this image :

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  100.1 KB

My gut feeling tells me it's ~ 15' long +/- ... just using the length of the tree (in inches) in the image ... vs ... the depth (in feet) scale of the screen. And I'm going to say that the orientation is as though the tree is being approached from the top end, towards the trunk end ... and you're viewing the image like the screen is to the left/right of your boat seat. It's definitely NOT the image you would get if you were approaching the tree from the side (like the screenshot is a camera's eye view).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

FALSE ADVERTISING AGAIN, lol,just kidding, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe just find something you know about how big it has to be and judge things by that. I have found a couple old wood bridges that got covered over when the lake was built and looks like they just collapsed at some point, but I plan on going back to look closer and if I can find out if these old bridges were wide enough for 2 cars to pass over or just one. Then I may be able to tell how long the boards are that I see. Nothing exact for sure, but I know enough old timers here that probably remember then old roads and should know how wide or about how wide the bridges that went over these creeks. Clearly not an exact science by any means though.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Brettw, just use the measure feature on your depth finder.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, never used it

Post Thanks / Like

If it is laying down ,the speed of boat,the speed of DI, the angle you go over it and depth should have a play in determine of size,also the experience of the person using it.
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8