Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Bait vs Artificial

Post Thanks / Like

Default Live Bait vs Artificial

I've been experimenting all summer fishing with no live bait. I've been using crappie nibbles mostly, but have also tried gulp maggots and some powerbait products. The results have been mixed. At Lake Darling I'm able to catch tons of small crappie, none exceeding 8". Other lakes, not so much. At Hawthorn, for example, I caught 7 crappies in about 4 hours, with fish ranging in size from 8" up to 13". I think I should have done better than that. I don't know why the fish on one lake would respond differently than fish on another.

I'd love to find a good minnow substitute, but I'm about ready to chuck the artificials and go back to the real thing. Does anybody have any experience with crappie nibbles and the like and what do you think of them?

Post Thanks / Like

I like using nibbles when the water is real cool,they tend to stay on and last longer.When vert. jigging in warm water I'll tip my jigs with a small piece of gulp or a minnow.I always take minnows fishing with me no mater what,even if I don't think I'll need them.I've seen them to many times on one bite and not the other.I got on the water this morning at 8:30 and caught 15 crappies in a row on the jigs I was casting and none on the minnows I was running on a crappie rig slow trolling.Then about an hour later I started to catch almost all fish on minnows rigs not jigs.I guess I feel it's best to have both.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The bait pump

Have yall tried the bait pump? Here is a link to a discussion about it.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=25670
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Shadow, I would have to agree, from everything i have read and heard about the bait pump i think i am gonna call Randy and order one for myself.....lol funny thing is, all i use is hair jigs so as soon as i get it i am gonna have to buy me some tube jigs so i can use it.
    So for all you guys that may be interested in it, you can read about it on the website and even call Randy and talk to him personally.(numbers on the site) I had the privilage of meeting him and he was very down to earth and more than willing to help anyone out with questions.
    http://thebaitpump.com/contact.htm
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

BAIT PUMP...Apply directly to your tube jigs.

The preceding message has been brought to you by... BAIT PUMP...Apply directly to your tube jigs...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fortunato

The preceding message has been brought to you by... BAIT PUMP...Apply directly to your tube jigs...
    o no :D

Post Thanks / Like

To All: I would pay attention to what these Southern Boys have to say. I fished Lake Okoboji East and West and Spirit Lake for 30 years before moving south to Texas. These boys know how to fish and do a darn good job of it. There lakes are big and they have to figure out alot fast to find fish and catch them. Yes and they have some super fish down here and super fishing. Want to catch some truly big Crappie come down and spend some time on Cross, Caddo, Palistine, Lake o' the Pine, Fork, and Toledo Bend. It will test your skill and you will be a wiser and better fisherman or PERSON when you leave.

Iowan at heart Texan by choice

Post Thanks / Like

Caddo, I've actually been investigating a fishing trip to the Southland. Hope I'm not accosted by Bait Pump salesmen down there though. I'd just like to do a little fishing...

Post Thanks / Like

Fortunato: Come on down!!!! The weather is great. No snow on the ground and the leaves are just starting to turn. Was out on Caddo Lake yesterday and it was beautiful. Yes and no one tried to sell me a bait pump. But the fish had a case of Lockjaw. Bring plenty of jigs and tubes and a big minnow bucket they sell minnows by the gallon. The Food is fantastic especially on the Louisiana side. Not bad on the Texas side eather You won't go home hungry. And you just might go home with a 2 lb. Crappie to hang on the wall. The northeast Texas and northwest Louisiana is a True Sportsman's Paridise.

The Captain

Post Thanks / Like

Hey don't knock the bait pump, I'm from Iowa and it works great. The nibbles last a lot longer injected into the tubes. No sales pitch intended.
    Try Odessa and Coralville, they are worth checking out
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast