Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finding Louisiana crappie guides

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding Louisiana crappie guides

While I have been crappie fishing most of my life, we recently moved to so Louisiana (Morgan City area ) and am lost as to where to go fishing for crappie. Everything here is so different from Arizona fishing that I need some help in figuring it out. I have looked online for guides but almost all seem to be in N Louisiana. Any ideas ? Thanks, Steve in so la

Post Thanks / Like

If I were in south La...The last thing I would be looking for would be crappie. Flounder, specks, redfish, tuna, wahoo, dang! I GET CHILLS EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Feelay is correct about south La being a prime spot for all of those species. All of that being said their is some sac a lait or crappy or specks to be found. Fish slow and a LOT shallower than you are accustomed to. Single pole structure and vegetation along drop offs and ledges. Use dark colored bodies with chanteuse ends tipped with yellow crappie nibbles. Try and mimic crawfish and shad. I probably wouldn't fish more than 10'at the most, more than likely 4-6 deep. Cooler months you can probably spider rig some.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys - I'll try the tips. And shallower sounds right on - back home they were always a lot deeper, man made reservoirs . Steve

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you have to deal with here you didn't back home was hurricanes. Just when you get to thinking your crappie are doing good...they all die. And it starts over again. Welcome to South Luzianne! Its tough here but they do live here. I rarely get my line out longer than my 9' rod. Deep water is relative. Here, 10-12' is deep water