Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. Crappie New Reel Review

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr. Crappie New Reel Review

i ordered these the INSTANT I saw the post announcing them....I only vertical jig fish and have been longing for a GOOD lightweight reel for 10 years...and when I say that, I mean a lineholder really. in south Louisiana, my deepwater is 14' of water with fish holding 7-8...maaaaybe 10' deep. structure, suspended, schooling...doesn't matter they wont be any deeper than that. Since I exclusively one pole jig vertically, I use a 9' sams and set my jig to the line keeper (about 7' of line out) and keep it there...really...year round. When they spawn, I flip it to the bank and tite line let it fall vertically to the deeper water (6-8'), when they are deep (heat of summer dead of winter) I MIGHT lengthen to a foot past the rod butt, but I can still lift the fish up to swing it in or net and do NOT ever reel a fish in. All that was available in the past was the little black reels for $6 or the red B n M for $5 (which I had settled on for 10 years and broke MANY. everything else is too bulky and heavy to use and hold your hand out all day. But, they were the best available for shallow water vertical fishing, weighed NOTHING and didn't get in the way. Money was not a real factor,,,,would have paid $50 for a better one.

then I saw wallys new reel...I was thrilled....ordered 3 from Grizzly which I must say was quick and easy...great company. I got the reels in tonight and ripped into a pack like Ralphie opened his Red Ryder and headed for the shop to install!

This is the best constructed reel in its class ($15.95) that a man could ask for. Its light...its SMOOTH...I have calcuttas that don't reel this smooth or have anti reverse that work this good. The drag is EASY to get to in a hurry (like when you hook an 8lb cat by accident) and the flick of a finger on the handle makes the counterweight on the reel send the handle around 5 times like spinners on a 83 Impala.,,,

and there lies the problem...as I played with it installed on my super sam rod...I noticed that there IS NO WAY TO LOCK THE HANDLE (REEL) FROM REELING UP THE LINE....CANT BE DONE. The anti reverse (or the drag if you want tension but not dead stop) WILL stop if from line peeling off...that's no problem. But the handle turns SO EASILY (counterweight) that just handling the rod causes the reel to REEL UP A LITTLE LINE WITH EACH JIGGLE WIHTOUT EVEN TOUCHING THE REEL! I took the reel apart trying to find a way to stop it from reeling up line when you don't want it to and it CAN NOT BE DONE.

I was heartbroken. It is the biggest manufacturing blunder since the Delorian! This reel would never be purchased to cast and retrieve the bait, you cant even cast it. And even if you flipped it with a ton of line out the reel is so small (like I like them to be) that you would not choose it for a reel you knew youd be reeling a lot...youd by a spinning reel,,,or a baitcaster. SO...this reel is ONLY advantageous to a vertical jig fisherman that just needs a reel to hold his line....and YOU CAN NOT USE IT FOR THAT!

Wally, I love you brother..I own your rods, your DVD;s...and think you are 10 times the fisherman I could ever be....but you HAVE to take this off the market and fix that ONE thing...and you will sell every one you make. But unfortunately, guys who buy them now are set to be disappointed.

I will be returning mine tomoro. I REALLY hope you get it fixed with a little click button or something that would lock the reel down..or just let the tension knob do that....I will buy 3 more if you do.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What if you Remove or cut off the counterweight?
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! I like you, have been searching for the perfect line holder. Have a dozen of the cheap plastic reels since they are constantly breaking. Maybe someday, someone will get it right.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your honest review. I look forward to a perfect single pole reel coming out on the market some day. Maybe they will fix the problem soon.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

Two things. Were you actually using them or just trying one out without a jig on it. Maybe on the water with a jig hanging into the water or in the air that won't happen.

And the other thing, just give Wally a call. He's a big boy, he appreciates feedback. Maybe he'll have some suggestions. Here's his number. (214) 683-4759
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Mr.Crappie is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kman ! Wally Marshall here it was brought to my attention about this thread ! I'm at the FLW Championship in Shrevport La this weekend ! I see your in La Too ! Yes I would like to tell you about my reel , the Solo reel has a one way clutch and a great drag system ! Yes this reel is for only vertical fishing and I have fished with this reel over a year ! Also i jave pitches with the solo buy only the lenght of the Rod ! I personally have not had any trouble out of this reel and have caught hundreds of fish ! I would like to reach out to you to see if I could assist you with your concerns ! So please contact me at 214 683 4759 and if your in the area of Shrevsport please come by our booth at the FLW Classic I would like to meet you in person ! Louie Mansfield with Grizzly Jigs quote ( Wally this is the best crappie jigging reel that has ever been made ) Kman didn't you say you bought these Mr Crappie solo reels at Grizzly Jig ! Call Louie also Thanks My Friend I'm here to help you with your concerns ! So come to the Convention Center in Shrevsport I will be here all weekend ! Don't forget to call me !
    Last edited by Slab; 08-15-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: wally actually called me to fix the phone numer he posted, mine was right!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kman View Post
    i ordered these the INSTANT I saw the post announcing them....I only vertical jig fish and have been longing for a GOOD lightweight reel for 10 years...and when I say that, I mean a lineholder really. in south Louisiana, my deepwater is 14' of water with fish holding 7-8...maaaaybe 10' deep. structure, suspended, schooling...doesn't matter they wont be any deeper than that. Since I exclusively one pole jig vertically, I use a 9' sams and set my jig to the line keeper (about 7' of line out) and keep it there...really...year round. When they spawn, I flip it to the bank and tite line let it fall vertically to the deeper water (6-8'), when they are deep (heat of summer dead of winter) I MIGHT lengthen to a foot past the rod butt, but I can still lift the fish up to swing it in or net and do NOT ever reel a fish in. All that was available in the past was the little black reels for $6 or the red B n M for $5 (which I had settled on for 10 years and broke MANY. everything else is too bulky and heavy to use and hold your hand out all day. But, they were the best available for shallow water vertical fishing, weighed NOTHING and didn't get in the way. Money was not a real factor,,,,would have paid $50 for a better one.

then I saw wallys new reel...I was thrilled....ordered 3 from Grizzly which I must say was quick and easy...great company. I got the reels in tonight and ripped into a pack like Ralphie opened his Red Ryder and headed for the shop to install!

This is the best constructed reel in its class ($15.95) that a man could ask for. Its light...its SMOOTH...I have calcuttas that don't reel this smooth or have anti reverse that work this good. The drag is EASY to get to in a hurry (like when you hook an 8lb cat by accident) and the flick of a finger on the handle makes the counterweight on the reel send the handle around 5 times like spinners on a 83 Impala.,,,

and there lies the problem...as I played with it installed on my super sam rod...I noticed that there IS NO WAY TO LOCK THE HANDLE (REEL) FROM REELING UP THE LINE....CANT BE DONE. The anti reverse (or the drag if you want tension but not dead stop) WILL stop if from line peeling off...that's no problem. But the handle turns SO EASILY (counterweight) that just handling the rod causes the reel to REEL UP A LITTLE LINE WITH EACH JIGGLE WIHTOUT EVEN TOUCHING THE REEL! I took the reel apart trying to find a way to stop it from reeling up line when you don't want it to and it CAN NOT BE DONE.

I was heartbroken. It is the biggest manufacturing blunder since the Delorian! This reel would never be purchased to cast and retrieve the bait, you cant even cast it. And even if you flipped it with a ton of line out the reel is so small (like I like them to be) that you would not choose it for a reel you knew youd be reeling a lot...youd by a spinning reel,,,or a baitcaster. SO...this reel is ONLY advantageous to a vertical jig fisherman that just needs a reel to hold his line....and YOU CAN NOT USE IT FOR THAT!

Wally, I love you brother..I own your rods, your DVD;s...and think you are 10 times the fisherman I could ever be....but you HAVE to take this off the market and fix that ONE thing...and you will sell every one you make. But unfortunately, guys who buy them now are set to be disappointed.

I will be returning mine tomoro. I REALLY hope you get it fixed with a little click button or something that would lock the reel down..or just let the tension knob do that....I will buy 3 more if you do.
    I like the way you got to the heart of the matter, seriously! This concern should be addressed directly to Wally and if you would just do it, I'm sure he will
    give you his undivided attention. What you have posted here should be sent directly to him at: [email protected]
    And, thank you for your honest opinion. Rather than just posting your dissatisfaction with a new product, get a response and if it's an oversite, it can be fixed
    to the benefit of everyone. I've been wanting one myself and have been looking for someone with some in their inventory locally. I have to hold one before I
    purchase one, just my thing.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, while I was posting..........Wally posted just ahead of me. Thanks Wally. That is what I call a rapid response. What more could you ask for?
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Too funny, Wally and I posted at the same time. Good to see Wally is on it. Kman, please do call him. He really wants to help.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Im gonna call him today! Cool that I get to talk to him! Thanks in advance Wally. ..I will call ya today my friend!

Slab, to your credit, I didn't have a jig on it in the water, maybe just a tad bit of counterweight will be all it needs. I have to say Im a little doubtful of that, but Wally says it works for him, surely he wouldn't be using it if my fears were valid. I will post what he tells me!

Great site!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast