Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a Trolling set up..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a Trolling set up..

I'm pretty new to crappie fishing, I can hold my own with the catfish, I can bust a pond, but lake crappie seem to own my heart right now. I found a great deal on a very gently used 2010 tracker pro guide V16-sc with a 2 stroke mercury 50hp. I have been dippin tree's most of the summer and have just had a ball. This weekend though I got a chance to see some guys trolling for them, looks like fun. Also looks like something I can easily do with the whole family. Yesterday I picked up 4 Cabela's sm-15 and spooled them with 10" mono. I am trying to decide on length of trolling rods. Whats a good brand? I found Pinnacle rods on the CHEAP, should I bump up to B&M? Something else? I want to troll straight off the back. I plan to pick up bandit 300's in white, chartruse, pink, silver/black. Should I just go with drift masters? I would really love rod holders sturdy enought to catfish and perhaps snag off of(with dipsy divers). pretty sure something elavated would be the ticket. So I'm looking for some advice on rods and rod holders. thanks...

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Drift Masters are hard to beat for pulling off the back of the boat. as far as trolling rods go, there are as many opinions as there are crappie fishermen. Personally, for pulling crank baits, I think its hard to beat B&M PST's.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speck View Post
    Drift Masters are hard to beat for pulling off the back of the boat. as far as trolling rods go, there are as many opinions as there are crappie fishermen. Personally, for pulling crank baits, I think its hard to beat B&M PST's.
    x2
    kost plus crappie team

Post Thanks / Like

So the Pro Staff Trolling rods? If I want to pull 4 total should I go 2) 8' and 2) 10'?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just learning trolling myself but I have done it enough to know that you should probably look into some heavier line. I started trolling 10# line and lost a lot of cranks, I recently bought some 30# power pro which was recommended by folks on CDC. Far as rods, I second PST and would start with 2-8 and 2-12. Happy trolling!

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jshull View Post
    So the Pro Staff Trolling rods? If I want to pull 4 total should I go 2) 8' and 2) 10'?
    As long as you keep about a 2 foot separation or more between the poles, then length is a personal choice. I like mine out a little from the boat. I use two 10's and two 12's. then I run 4 planer boards (two off each side) to get even further out to the sides.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

okay Im heading down to everharts tomorrow to see if they have some sweet deals!

Post Thanks / Like

ask for jarod

Post Thanks / Like

O ya Jared has been awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a set up that will do it all call Perotti built and tell them you want the same set up that Chris Schott has. I can rig and cat fish off the racks and have single 90° for sponnies.
    Balzout Mounts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast