Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Raising worms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raising worms

I started back in march trying to raise some wigglers not had too much luck. After it got hot I moved them into a old storm cellar to help keep them cool what I need to know is Do I need to drill Holes in the bottom of the containers I have them in since they are inside?

Post Thanks / Like

If the containers are accumulating moisture in the bottom, then it would be wise to drill some holes for the water to drain out.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure what type of bin you are using but on my smaller bin, which is a large Rubbermaid tube. I took a 1/8" drill bit and drilled several dozen drainage holes in the bottom of it. Hope this helps, Bobo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using ice chest to keep the worms in

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Worm Ranch on line and the worms have thrived. There is liquid that will collect at the bottom as you add water and the worms excrete. This juice is highly potent fertilizer for your plants, but it must be diluted or it will burn your plants up. There is a ton of information on line to successfully raise worms.

Post Thanks / Like

Crewmax is right about there being a ton of info on the net about rasingworms on the net. I have been looking into it for while now and have begun gathering stuff. I have and old fridge for my worm bed and a old water tank for putting my minnows in. To much moisture is not a real good thing. Get some small holes in there for sure.

FISH ON

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I just look in my yard for a dark area near some leaves, throw down a piece of old carpet upside down and water it a few times,,,, whalaaaaaa instant worm farm,,, Just turn the carpet over and worms galore,,,, worms eat the carpet fibers and the damp wet area is perfect come summer.....trick is to find that area of your yard you haven't treated with fertilizer,,, That kills the worms off,,,
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Takeum View Post
    I just look in my yard for a dark area near some leaves, throw down a piece of old carpet upside down and water it a few times,,,, whalaaaaaa instant worm farm,,, Just turn the carpet over and worms galore,,,, worms eat the carpet fibers and the damp wet area is perfect come summer.....trick is to find that area of your yard you haven't treated with fertilizer,,, That kills the worms off,,,
    While we have an authentic worm farm set up, we also have an old cast iron fire pot with a crack and a hole in it that we keep turned over a rotted stump in the woods out back. My wife put composted materials in it. A couple of days ago we transferred a seven inch black salamander to it. It is full of worms.