Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night time crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night time crappie fishing

I was thinking about doing some night time crappie fishing.I have never done it before,but i have heard of alot of people that had great success at it.With all the summer time pleasure boaters out its getting hard to fish during daylight hours.I was wanting to get some input from the late night fisherman...Like what you think is the best lights to use...green light,white light...float or submersible..bobber fishing or tight lining..fish in the light or outside the light...depths...any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody has their own way of doing things, but here is mine. I like to fish areas that I know hold fish, that are a least 12' or deeper. I use green submersible, about 2' under the surface. The method will vary, you can tightline jigs or minnows, cast, and fish a float, all will work, and I'll usually be prepared to do all three. I will go against the masses and tell you I catch 80% of my fish in or under the light, versus the outside edge. If you have never tried it before, it will take a little practice just like anything else, there are times the bait just won't come to the lights, and nights the fish won't bite. I've also had nights where the bite will start about 1am and last until sun up. I like to fish the darkest nights possible, full moons are for catfish.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I was out with two friends on Wed. night fishing after dark. We had a great time and the whole lake to ourselves. I have typically fished on the outer edges of the light. I have both a green and a white light, and have heard arguments either way on which color works best. Because of my tangled cords at the moment my lights are together and one sits close to the surface. The led lights are nice because you can just take a small battery and run all night on that. I have had times on a full moon where I couldn't get any minnows to come in, but the other night the light had drawn in hordes of them. We had good luck Wed. night with the light on one side of the boat and then we used ice rods and flashers to fish off of the other side. That only works if the water is calm and you can hold your boat still. I was using ice fishing lures and bee moths. Like Locator said you have to be in an area that's holding fish to begin with. Good luck.... It can be a lot of fun and time has a way of getting away from you. AND BRING BUG SPRAY.

Post Thanks / Like

they hit it on the head for ya. thatsabout all you need to know to get bit. crappie under a light is one of the easiest ways to get a meal. LEDs are the way to go these days, but when i was a kid lanterns did just fine. bugs are a thought especially with kids and wives. i use a submersible light and no light above water. when i need light i use my head light just long enough to do what i need to. the more light the more bugs! you will be pleased with crapys under a light thats for sure!

good luck and post some pics for us.

Post Thanks / Like

I just use a good ole coleman lantern when lit attracts insects which attracts smaller fish which attracts bigger fish. And believe it or not I have caught a lot of crappies that way at night. Don't get me wrong I have also went home without fish also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    I just use a good ole coleman lantern when lit attracts insects which attracts smaller fish which attracts bigger fish. And believe it or not I have caught a lot of crappies that way at night. Don't get me wrong I have also went home without fish also.
    That's what I use also. I take a pole with me and tie it up across a couple stick ups if available then hang the lantern off it. Then back the boat away from the light a little ways and start fishing. Like you said, some times you go home with no fish, but more times than not you go home with a nice mess.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't night fish for crappies much, cuz I don't have a boat...but the times I had great success night fishin for em was when I fished lighted piers and marinas with street lights close to the water...I just cast a very small tube jig and got the best bites that way...
    Roaming the banks of the Kankakee River and anywhere else fish might lurk.

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody does it a little different, but here is what works for me on Hardy Lake. I use two painters lights with white 12volt RV bulbs and run cords to a deep cycle battery that I take in and out of the boat (ran the boat battery down once LOL) I place both light 3 to 4 feet off the water shinning down into the water. In a few minutes there are tons of bait fish swarming under the lights. We then vertical fish 6 to 12 down under the lights and limit out quite often. I have tried submersible lights (green/white/led/ etc) and this simple setup works great for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to thank everybody for thier input...i actually went and bought me a submersible led light and got out on the lake sunday night..i fish a few spots and had the best luck fishing a shelf that was 8-10' and dropped to about 18-20' was fishing 8-10' deep and pulled in about a half dozen 10" crappie...tried the light at different depths and had the best luck with it about 1-2' under the water and was catching crappie around the light...didnt have much luck outside the light...its a learning process which was stated..Thanks again for all the input..Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your on the right track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast