Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It looks like the Crappie are going deep?

Post Thanks / Like

Default It looks like the Crappie are going deep?

I went out tonight from 6pm until 9pm (just before the strong storm hit) I fish 3 local lakes here in central PA in my pontoon. This one has 26 miles of shoreline and it's >100' deep near the dam. A normal cove is about 30' deep.

Usually, the crappie swim closer to shore at twilight. That's when my 12'er comes in handy. Tonight they seemed to stay in 21' to 25' of water ...... even at dark?

I used my UL spin with 1/32 Marabou Jigs and 1/32 Jig with Gulp Alive minnows. The water temp was 76 on top (my fish finder has a temp guage, one foot under the surface) Another heat spell, I think the fish like the cooler water in deep places?

Super fun! I caught about 50 crappie and about 20 white perch. I kept 6 of each for a tasty meal.

Tight Lines,

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done. When they are deep I just use a drop shot or power shot technique.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

nice very nice, a fun time sounds like to me, good job sir

Post Thanks / Like

Good job crappitier !! I don't believe I have ever caught a white perch and I'm now 62. Are they as good eating as a yellow perch ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillyB2 View Post
    I don't believe I have ever caught a white perch and I'm now 62. Are they as good eating as a yellow perch ?
    Yes, they are delicious when you fillet them. I think they are even better eating than yellow perch IMHO.

They breed at least two times a year, and they are over running this lake! There are signs all over the lake that say "Please keep all the white perch that you catch"

Some troll in the deep water with a small inline spinner and a chunk of worm and catch hundreds every afternoon. They seem to be the top predator and are eating all the newborn walleye and bass!

The white perch seem to like to hang out with the crappies? I usually catch both when I'm jigging a small marabou jig.

Post Thanks / Like

I never seen one before, it almost looks like a shiner.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

White bass are a ton of fun to catch. Lots of fight in them for their size...and when you get into a school of them, can limit out fairly quickly!

We use inline spinners, Mepps, Crankbaits, etc for the White Bass. Although I have caught some on Crappie Jigs a few weekends ago.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buglemintoday View Post
    White bass are a ton of fun to catch. Lots of fight in them for their size...and when you get into a school of them, can limit out fairly quickly!

We use inline spinners, Mepps, Crankbaits, etc for the White Bass. Although I have caught some on Crappie Jigs a few weekends ago.
    While this is true, what you are saying here .... make note of the fact that White Perch & White Bass are TWO DIFFERENT species of fish. White Bass "may" have the nickname "white perch" in some areas of the country ... but, the real White Perch is a whole other specie.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Those he has are white perch. White bass are similar but have more lines down there sides and are broken.
    Single lateral line on white perch.

Now some people call the white belly perch we get in the great lakes white perch. But they are really the yellow belly perch. They have the white belly because of there inviroment of the great lakes.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast