PDA

View Full Version : What's your next pole and reel set up?

Hanr3
06-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Time for me to upgrade and buy a new pole and reel. Heading to northern Wisconsin and decided to swing by St. Croix plant and buy me a new pole. I really like the one I bought last year, although its a little too stiff for crappie and I use it for Walleye. This time around I'm picking up a Premier Spinning 6'6" Ultra-light fast action rod, 1/32-3/16 lure weight, 2-6 pound line, single piece construction. Model PS66ULF.

I swung by Bass Pro and bought another Shimano Sedona spinning reel, 4th Shimano. This time its a Sedona 1000FD, gear ratio 6.2:1, line capacity- 2-270, 4-140, and 6-110, and weighs 7.8 ounces. Planning to marry the Sedona to the St. Croix for jigging and slip bobber fishing crappie over brush piles, and laydowns.

What is your next pole, or favorite set-up, and why?

Hanr3
06-25-2013, 09:01 PM
160 views and no responses. What? No body got a favorite or dream list? :cheers2

skiptomylu
06-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Well just bought a Shimano Sustain 1000 FG and right now is on a rod that is very close To 8' one piece made by a fellow member in Oklahoma. Have a bunch of Sustains and have been using them since at least the mid 1990's. last pole I bought though is a BNM 10' Gold Jig Pole, like it a lot too.

CrappiePappy
06-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Got (own) plenty of "favorites", Hanr3 ... just not particularly looking into buying anything new in the rod/reel dept.

I have enough outfits to do most of the types of fishing that I care to do, except spiderrigging, and I make do with what I have ... whenever that method is employed.

Congrats on your new outfit, though ... and I hope it serves you well :ThumbsUp

... cp :kewl

Don G
06-26-2013, 05:01 AM
Tim, I believe in St Croix rods. Crappiepappy will laugh at this but here goes. A couple of years ago I lost 2 Premier rods & Shimano Symetre reels due to being forgetful. I decided an old man didn't need equipment this nice so I went to Shimano rods. Shimano rods are very good but I still favored St Croix.

I am now back to 2-Premier 6' L rods with Symetre 1000 reels. I am a dock shooter and brush pile caster & jigger.

I now have 14 Shimano Symetre reels and a few long poles but use my 2 Premier rods 90% of the time.

shipahoy41
06-26-2013, 06:13 AM
Seven foot B-n-M Lite and SHakespear open face reel. Six pound line.

short grub
06-26-2013, 07:35 AM
11 or 12 ft Sam Heaton super sensitive with a Pflueger president reel

Cricketcage
06-26-2013, 07:36 AM
I have my eye on a 7' lightweight Fenwick spinning rod. Don't know about the reel yet.

I've been late to the 7' rod phenomenon and want to give it a try.

Hatchetjack
06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Great choice on the St Croix rod. I had an Avid that I broke the tip on and returned it to St. Croix under warranty. I ended up upgrading to a Model PS66ULF and am extremely pleased.....have a Sedona reel on there as well. FWIW, St. Croix's customer service was outstanding!

deathb4disco
06-26-2013, 09:39 AM
My current favorites are:

Loomis TSR 790 with a Daiwa Fuego 1500

St. Croix Avid 60ULF with a Daiwa Fuego 1500

I'm actually trying to get rid of some rods, so I don't plan on buying much in the near future. I would like to get a couple of graphite telescopic poles, though. I have my eye on a 12' and a 15'.

kycreek
06-26-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm interested in your opinions on a Sedona verses President ??? I've had good luck with the Pflueger reels & have never used a Shimano. Much difference??? Opinions??? Ideas???

skiptomylu
06-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Well if your pocket book can stand it I say the Sustain is the smoothest reel I have ever picked up. My older ones are not even on the same level as the newer ones. My newest one didn't even come with a spare spool which was a surprise to me and cost a good bit more than the 2 previous ones I bought which were also Sustains, but were 1000 FE's which didn't coast as much, but still high and oh so smooth. Don't pick one up unless your interested or they will bend your mind, LOL!

Ladykiller
06-26-2013, 01:33 PM
The Stella's are even nicer, but only worth the cost if you are a serious fisherman and fish for critters that really require a smooth drag. I personally own many Stradics (2500 & 3000), four Sustains (1000, 2500, 3000, 5000), and a few Sedonas. Love the Stradics and Sustains, Sedonas not so much.

My next combo will most likely be a St. Croix 11' 6wt flyrod paired with a Shimano Stradic 2500 for vertical jigging over brush.

Well if your pocket book can stand it I say the Sustain is the smoothest reel I have ever picked up. My older ones are not even on the same level as the newer ones. My newest one didn't even come with a spare spool which was a surprise to me and cost a good bit more than the 2 previous ones I bought which were also Sustains, but were 1000 FE's which didn't coast as much, but still high and oh so smooth. Don't pick one up unless your interested or they will bend your mind, LOL!

kycreek
06-26-2013, 02:13 PM
You guys are spending more than I can even think about..... :yikes

skiptomylu
06-26-2013, 03:05 PM
The Stella's are even nicer, but only worth the cost if you are a serious fisherman and fish for critters that really require a smooth drag. I personally own many Stradics (2500 & 3000), four Sustains (1000, 2500, 3000, 5000), and a few Sedonas. Love the Stradics and Sustains, Sedonas not so much.

My next combo will most likely be a St. Croix 11' 6wt flyrod paired with a Shimano Stradic 2500 for vertical jigging over brush.

Dang you like the bigger reels. I have several 2000 sustains, but really love the 1000 for crappie because of size and weight. Yes the Stella's are awesome, but so expensive I didn't feel the need for crappie. I do also have a number of Stradic's also and they are a fine reel, but all of my Stradic's I bought in the 1990's so none new and have both 2000 and 1000. The little 1000 Sustain FE reels are perfect size for my fishing. My wide not linking using reels as nice as mine, I bought her the 1000 FG and only got it because I didn't see any FE's like I have which cost something less than the FG did.
you only go through this life one time so I say get the best you can and enjoy as much as possible!

deathb4disco
06-26-2013, 04:09 PM

Why the fly rod? There are certainly cheaper options. (Of course, if you're buying Sustains and Stradics, cost of the rod might not be an issue.)

clfarms1
06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
cant go wrong on the president with a shimano rod. just depends on what kind of fishing you are doing and what your perfect combo would be.

Ladykiller
06-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Dang you like the bigger reels. I have several 2000 sustains, but really love the 1000 for crappie because of size and weight. Yes the Stella's are awesome, but so expensive I didn't feel the need for crappie. I do also have a number of Stradic's also and they are a fine reel, but all of my Stradic's I bought in the 1990's so none new and have both 2000 and 1000. The little 1000 Sustain FE reels are perfect size for my fishing. My wide not linking using reels as nice as mine, I bought her the 1000 FG and only got it because I didn't see any FE's like I have which cost something less than the FG did.
you only go through this life one time so I say get the best you can and enjoy as much as possible!

Not that I like the bigger reels per se, its just that I fish the Great Lakes for steelhead and salmon and used to fish the Carolinas for saltwater species. I personally like 1000 & 2500 reels for crappie.

Why the fly rod? There are certainly cheaper options. (Of course, if you're buying Sustains and Stradics, cost of the rod might not be an issue.)

A couple of reasons on the flyrods, they are typically light, flex differently, sensitive, good warranty, and I can still use it as a fly rod if I want when I go trout fishing up in Michigan or wherever.

skiptomylu
06-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Yes I can see why you have the larger reels since you get to fish for the big boys like that!

Nastynate
06-27-2013, 08:21 PM
I made my own! 5' UL MHX blank, with a color matching reel.

Crappitier
06-27-2013, 10:25 PM
My fave crappie outfit is: A 7' UL St Croix Avid spin rod with a Stradic CI4 1000 ML and 2 lb NanoFil (.002 diameter) super line.

I'm a fly tier, so I tie some pretty neat jigs in 1/80 1/64 and 1/32 oz. For soft plastic, I use Trout Magnets, Micro Spoons, and small hunks of a senko that I chop and hold over a candle.

I see, on this site, the great looking soft plastic that "ship" and others are making. I'll have to get started with that soon.

I also like the Power Bait and Gulp Alive baits.

mutedblade
06-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Current setups are 8' B'N'M Ultimate Crappie Rod with Pflueger President and President XT's which are now discontinued. Also have a Shimano Symetre 2500Fi on a G Loomis GL3. Don't care for the Shimano so will probably go with Pflueger Supreme and stick with the Ultimate Crappie Rods. These combo's work for trout, salmon, drum, bass, and especially walleye, cats, and crappie of course. Hope this didn't confuse you anymore. Tight lines and have fun!

Cane Pole
06-28-2013, 10:00 AM
160 views and no responses. What? No body got a favorite or dream list? :cheers2

Waiting on you to spend your money first.:fish

wannabe fisherman
06-28-2013, 01:11 PM
for me to go to my dream rod and reel it'd have to be in my dreams or in heaven. With a large choice at home another would get me killed by the wife and you know how much she's spent on me lately:Rofl

skeetbum
06-28-2013, 10:07 PM
My top of the list new combo is a St Croix 6'6" lf with a blue/green label. The light fast is one you should feel for yourself with your reel choice attached. I have several that I use all the time, and one that I went over the side headfirst to retrieve when it went overboard recently. That rod is a Lightning Rod , 6'6" and says medium action, but has a soft tip and casts a 1/32 jig like no other before or since. Out of production but check the new ones. The reels are easy, Shimano and all the bearings you can afford. Lots of choices, good luck with this.

Hanr3
07-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Waiting on you to spend your money first.:fish

Best yoda voice. Spend it, did I. $100 St. Croix 6'6" Ultra light Fast action, 1/32-3/16, 2-6 pound test. Paired to a $60 Shimano Sedona 1000 2-6 pound test.
Since I was at the St.Croix store and bought a premium rod I got a pull over sweatshirt for $22, reg $45. Picked up a couple of stickers too.
First cast, first fish. Not a crappie but it bent the tip and caught Crappie the rest of the night.

drifterdon
07-31-2013, 07:15 PM
I really like the St. Croix Crappie series 6' PFS60ULF and pair it with the Pflueger Supreme I already have.

drifterdon
07-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Well I just checked out Gander Mountain and they had this for the same price as everyone else plus a $30 rebate so I pulled the trigger.
Now the wait begins.

wannabe fisherman
08-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Well I just checked out Gander Mountain and they had this for the same price as everyone else plus a $30 rebate so I pulled the trigger.
Now the wait begins.
what's this?? no link that I can find /no pic/

drifterdon
08-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Oops.
Here it is.
St. Croix Panfish Series Spinning Rod PFS100LMF2 - Gander Mountain (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=St-Croix-Panfish-Series-Spinning-Rod-PFS100LMF2&i=451614&aID=504AB1&merchID=4006)

Tom 513
08-01-2013, 06:51 PM
I bought a St.Croix 6ft med pole for bass fishing, I use a spinning reel with it, I dont like the way the reel flexes on the pole, feels like I need to tighten it up all the time, kinda of a cheap feel, not expected with a $75 rod, also which I would of bought a 6.5' rod, live and learn! But for Crappie I will be buying a B n M, just cant decide on which one there are so many to choose from, but its a toss up between a 8ft and a 10ft pole, I will probably end up buying both before the Fall bite starts. I like spinning reels but have read good things about Zebcos Omega!

Black Lion
08-01-2013, 09:06 PM
I just bought a Shakespeare Ugly Stik 4 to 10 lb casting rod that I plan to pair up with a Zebco Omega Pro Zo2 spincast reel.

And my heart is going pitter patter over a Shakespeare Ugly Stik Lite 10 to 17 lb casting rod. I might just succumb.....