Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truman - 6/13 & 6/14

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truman - 6/13 & 6/14

Hit the Lake on Thursday and found the crappie right away. Fish were 14 - 25 ft down they seemed to move up and down. All in 40 - 90 ft of water around 3:00 they shut off so we moved shallow and caught them pretty good right on the bottom in 10ft of water. Kept 55 crappie all between 10" & 11 3/4". No really big fish but no really small fish either. Small fish were about 8". We boated about 115 fish not including sand bass and drum. They really liked the Cajun Cricket Bobby Garland baby shad. Took my mom and dad from Oklahoma City. When we went shallow and caught fish right on the bottom we were hooking quite a few rocks as well. At one point my mom sighed and said oh no I got the bottom. I started to find her line so I could position the boat to get it out. I saw the line and so did my dad.... simultaneously we said oh no you don't have the bottom as we watched her line head out to the middle of the lake. We followed the fish for several minutes and it made one pass under the boat. I had to take the pole from mom and run it around the bow of the boat. I gave the pole immediately back to mom. We figured it was a big old catfish since we just boated 2lb channel about an hour earlier. after about six minutes the fish finally showed its self. It surprised us all because these fish usually don't bull dog down to the bottom like this one. They usually jump in the air and show off then spit your lure. It was a 3.5 lb 17" Large mouth bass. What a fish for my mom and she did a wonderful job landing it with the light crappie gear. My mom has never targeted Large mouth bass and I have never seen her catch one. This part made the whole boat crack up laughing. You would have to know my dad, but he like to talk and he talks a TON. I asked my mom if she ever caught a big mouth before and she said no that was her 1st one. Then she thought..... well I did catch one other one... my son and I cracked up laughing... she was talking about my dad. The next day (Friday) we decided to go after Blue Catfish because that is what my mom and dad love to catch as much as crappie. I recently bought all the gear to drift for them which I had only done once in my life with Steve Brown at Catfish Safari... Who by the way is very good a this and I would recommend him to anyone looking to hook some big blues and lots of them.... back to the fishing... I spend at least two hours trying to net some shad and all I had was three shad. I decided that is enough to get started so out we went. After 30 minutes of fishing my son landed a 13.5 lb blue and 10lb blue. My mom caught a 2 lb hybrid. We though we were going to "tear em up" but we were wrong. We didn't get a fish for another 2 hours of fishing so we went back to the crappie or should I say sandbass. The crappie left the area and we caught tons of sandbass. All in all a great trip and some great memories with my son and my mom and dad... I probably would have tried a different lake if it weren't for this board. Thanks to Jigging15 for his recent post. BTW we tried deeper than 25ft but didn't catch a thing. I'll try and get some pictures up on this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had one heck of a trip and some good memories . Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice report, glad all had a good time!

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding report and a good time...........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

What a great trip, congrats on all the nice fish.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Glad I could be of a little help.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great story
    Seth M.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report loved reading it. Congrats on the great trip.

Post Thanks / Like

nice, good trip

Post Thanks / Like

nice report, congrats. on the day. I can almost see you mom tugging and wondering about the fish on the line. truman is a great lake and it spawns a lot of good people as well and fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast