Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: big fish kill????

Post Thanks / Like

Default big fish kill????

What's going on with the thousands of dead carp atmilford today????
    Fear me all ye that dwell beneath the waves

Post Thanks / Like

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haugboss View Post
    What's going on with the thousands of dead carp atmilford today????
    haugboss,

I also saw those dead carp when I was at Milford the first weekend of June. I saw John Reinke, KDWPT fish bio for Milford, on the water as he was investigating the fish kill.

John was looking for a fresh dead or sick carp to send off for testing when I saw him on that Friday. I have not heard if any results came back yet.

John told me that Milford has been experiencing some lake level rises. Carp that had been in the creeks had become stressed and inflow events pushed them back in to the lake where they continued to stress and die. Winds keep blowing the dead fish back and forth across the lake making it bad in one area one day and another the next. Healthy carp are also present at the lake as evidenced by all the carp splashing and frolicking in the shallow flooded weeds along shore.

Luckily the dead fish have included only carp. All of the more popular sportfish have not been impacted.