Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kayak camping and fishing trips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak camping and fishing trips

Uwharrie River:
    Met my brother and his neighbor on Friday at Morrow Mountain State Park to load everything into one truck for the trip over to Highway 109 for the drop off. Started fishing Uwharrie River at 12:30. By 1:00 we had a snake that wanted in the kayak. That was the first of many snakes seen and the only one that wanted in the kayaks. We caught a lot of bream and some decent cats.

Found an island and set up camp about 7:30. After supper of corn on the cobb, peppercorn ham and potatoes the campers started falling out, the first one at 9:15, the second at 9:30 and me at 10:00. The tree frogs were so loud that you could barely hear the two bull frogs serenading each other.

Up at 6:30 the next morning. First, breakfast of coffee, scrambled eggs and scrapple fajitas with a side of country ham, then a tear down of camp and repack everything back into the kayaks.

Fished till 12:30 catching a lot of bream and a huge shellcracker along the way. then paddled the rest of the way out. Crossing Lake Tillery on a Saturday afternoon in kayaks was interesting to say the least. We were out and headed home by 2:00.

South Yadkin River:
    Got home at 3:00, restocked Kayak and loaded Dylan's stuff then off to the South Yadkin River. Started fishing by 4:15. Only caught 3 catfish in the muddy water by the time we got to camp about 6:00. Largest cat weighed about 7-8 pounds, lotta fun on a light weight rod while sitting on a small piece of plastic.

Pulled kayaks up the bank to set up camp and first thing to greet us was a small water snake. A couple of smacks with a small stick to let him know he didn't want to hang around then flipped into the river to swim off very fast down stream. Supper of hotdogs and left over ham and potatoes then off to bed, Dylan at 9:30 and me at 10:00.

Up at 6:30, breakfast of coffee, eggs and livermush. Broke camp and fishing by 8:15. Fishing was terrible, only caught 2 bream, a green carp, a catfish, a white perch and a white bass, all were small. Pulled out at the junction of the South Yadkin and the Yadkin Rivers at 2:00.

This was a muddy trip, muddy water and mud 6'' to 18'' every time you got in and out of the kayaks. Next time I'll wait about 2 weeks after any rain for that trip.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you had a 2 good trip. It makes me hungry reading this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Glad you had a 2 good trip. It makes me hungry reading this
    Eat them last night and they were good.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Nat. Sounds like a great weekend. See you soon.

Just get him on, then we'll worry about getting him in!

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey nat, my nephew got a kayak last summer and said he would like to get together with you for a trip sometime. He was wondering about the yadkin from 64 to york hill. You have any idea how far that is or how long it would take?
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Hey nat, my nephew got a kayak last summer and said he would like to get together with you for a trip sometime. He was wondering about the yadkin from 64 to york hill. You have any idea how far that is or how long it would take?
    Not sure how far it is. How long it takes depends on whether you are fishing, paddling and water flow. I do know that the rivers that I have kayaked/fished, it takes all day to get 5-7 miles. He can go with me whenever he wants. Give him my number and have him call me sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieKrazy View Post
    Nice report Nat. Sounds like a great weekend. See you soon.
    Give me a call the next time you kayak up there, I'm game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Hawk, I scaled it out and from Highway 64 to York Hill is about 21 miles. That's a solid day of paddling under normal water conditions without fishing. There is a boat ramp off 801 than would take about 8 miles off the trip and make it more manageable for a day trip, still without fishing.