Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish Shocker / Stunner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Shocker / Stunner

Gang,

I'm inquiring if anyone has plans for building a fish shocker/stunner that actually works. I'm trying to get an idea of numbers, and species of fish that are in my pond. I'm also trying to stay away from chemicals/poisons. Also, We are considering a kids tournament, and I would like to tag a couple of catfish for prizes. I understand these are illeagle for anything other than scientific reasons, and private property use. That's exactly what my intentions are. Any help is appreciated.
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get hold of one of the old type telephone that you have to wind. They work great, so i hear. The Army term for the phone is TA-312
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DI

The TA-312 also works great on your buddies bare toes while he's sleeping!

fishinRod
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Try your states fish and game dept. They can prolly help out.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an idea....

Go catch a couple of catfish, tag em', and release.

Use statistics from your fishing rodeo to gauge population dynamics for your pond.

Post Thanks / Like

The telephone drill instructor is talking about is widely used around these parts to "connect" with catfish during their spawning period while on the bottom. I don't think it will work on suspended fish. I can tell you the fine on a public waterway in mo. is 500 fine, 1 year suspended fishing license, 1 year jail time, that I can personally attest to. I know you said you were wanting to use it in your pond. If you feed your fish you might try netting some to tag them. A biologist told me that he would bring a shocker to my pond one time if I wanted to see what was in it. This is a different device than a phone. Good luck and give your conservation agent a call, he can probablly help..

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that an outboard motor with a wire on one plug wire .Insulated wire to a chain will shock them. Becareful might shock more than the fish . ha! ha!:rolleyes:
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

We've used them while assisting the local parks department take fish surveys. They are tightly regulated.
    I see you list your location as Louisville. Contact U of Lou's biology department. If you allow them to use the study to train college biology students or to aid in some other study, they may conduct it for you.
    I wouldn't risk doing it with some homemade item. The biologists take water samples to determine what voltage to use since mineral content affects conductivity - Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta; 09-13-2006 at 06:10 PM.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD
    I've heard that an outboard motor with a wire on one plug wire .Insulated wire to a chain will shock them. Becareful might shock more than the fish . ha! ha!:rolleyes:
    I bet this would work. I have been bit myself more than I can count from plug wires. At one time I worked the run tunnel at Briggs & Stratton. One job I had was to pull the brake to kill the engine with one hand and pull the plug wire from the plug with the other hand, before going on the over head to be painted. Some times the brakes did not stop the engine and I would get BIT.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing