Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dogwood report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dogwood report

Fished Dogwood Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Water temp between 68 and 71, bluegill in nest, but nests not fanned out and they are skittish. Water level about 2 feet above normal. Lot of people on lake Saturday and everyone catching fish.
    DR Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Are threre any size to the fish up there. Last couple times I went could only catch short fish, couldn't justify the drive anymore. I'd love for that lake to come back around.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

We went down there every autumn for quite a few years to catch bluegill and redear but have quit going because the size has taken a nose dive. I remember going down there and catching big bluegill up to ten inches or better and redear running close to twelve inches on the best ones and those days appear to be gone.

I think Glendale got a regional reputation and became a big draw and it simply wasn't a big enough body of water to support the number of fisherman it attracted. A lake needs to be at least ten thousand acres for it to sustain and support a big enough fish population to attract a regional audience IMO and Glendale's only 1500 acres.

Post Thanks / Like

Redearhoosier,
    I think you may be right on with your thinking of Dogwood Lake not being able to support the number of fisherman it has attracted, I have been fishing Dogwood since 1978 and live within 1/2 mile of the lake and I have thought for some time the lake could not keep producing quality fish with the pressure that it has attracted. It will be interesting to see what the lake does in the next few years since the Horse Power limit changed, there are more boats on the lake now than ever before, for the last 3 or 4 weeks there have been around 30 or 35 boat trailers in the parking lot everyday, and the campground is as busy as I have seen it in my years of fishing Dogwood, I am not saying people don't have the right to fish the lake, but IMO it will be good to see how the lake does with the pressure that it is recieving.

Post Thanks / Like

Speckfisherman,
    Do you think the size of the bluegill/redear have taken a nose dive? The last really good trip we had down there was in 08', the other trips after that were not nearly as impressive and we quit going.

Post Thanks / Like

Redearhoosier,
    Yes I believe the size of the bluegill and redears are somewhat smaller than they were a few years ago, I think the DNR completed some study on the lake last year, they also was taking a creel survey everyday but i did not ever hear the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Glendale alot. I took their survey several times last year. I was only ask one time about a size limit. I also think that the size has went down. I would like to see a size limit put on bluegill, redear, and crappie. It might not work but it couldnt hurt. The fishing isnt as good as it once was and the pressure is more than ever. Dont get me wrong I a like the new speed limit. Everyone has the right to enjoy it as we all pay for that right. As long as everyone is resectfull to others and dont trash the place up I think it is good.

Post Thanks / Like

We caught quit a few 10 to 10 1/2 bluegills and redear. We ended up filleting 300 fish and had nothing under 8 inches. The fish were not on the nest, but most were males. We also caught some 14 inch crappie. 3 of us fishing for 2 1/2 days.
    DR Fish

Post Thanks / Like

You could be corect redearhoosier however I fish a small lake that gets absolutely pounded and catch 11 1/2 redear and 9 1/2 inch bluegill every year. I really think prey population greatly affects the growth rate. This lake does have a slot limit in effect now for years but before or after the slot was imposed it still produced big panfish. Not that great of crappie however. Also we don't get the ice we used too years ago bucketfulls of fish came from Dogwood Lake daily year after year, and I think that more that make up for the increased preassure in the spring.