Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cheney 5/18/13

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheney 5/18/13

Went out early in the morning and caught a ton of crappie from the marina. It was packed with a ton of people but I got there before the sun was up and found a pretty good spot. Lots of people seem to be throwing minnows and they're catching them here and there, but not good numbers. I used a jig right up against the rocks and caught a bunch. Between me and my buddy, we probably caught 70-80, we threw more back than I watched anyone else even catch (threw a couple back that we didn't plan on, those rocks are a PITA to climb around on). I ended up keeping about 20 (shown below) and my buddy took the rest of the keepers (he had nearly 40 in his cooler). Biggest was 15", most were 12"-13" with a few right on the 10" line. I'd say 90% of the females we cleaned were still full of eggs so I imagine there's still some good fish to be caught down there. You might look around and watch people that are throwing minnows to see if the bite is on, otherwise use artificial and keep it as close to the rocks as possible. Every fish I caught was in 2'-3' of water on a pearl/char. solid body tube, I think it is a big bite baits tube if I am not mistaken. Name:  cheneycrappie.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  96.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice slabs! Thanks for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job and thanks for the info.
    "My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am" -- unknown

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    I've also heard the dam at Cheney has been producing crappie.
    Not many places left for them to spawn with the water so low.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingtim View Post
    Thanks for the report.
    I've also heard the dam at Cheney has been producing crappie.
    Not many places left for them to spawn with the water so low.
    People were lined up shoulder to shoulder at the dam when my friend drove by to meet me out there. I've heard reports that the wipers and white bass are really active down there, but I think the majority of the people have been fishing crappie on the east end of the dam. I saw a few guys fishing the rock jetties over on Heimerman point, but couldn't see that far to see if they were catching anything. Nearly all the other rocks that I can think of off the top of my head are dry right now.