Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spring Mill State Park

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring Mill State Park

Does anyone if they ever dredged the lake at Spring Mill and got the silt out of it? Last time I camped up there was about 6-7 years ago and it couldn't have been more than 18" deep. I was told the state had plans to dredge it, but that was before budgets got hit. I kinda figure it has never happened, but was just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there with the Cub Scouts about 4 years ago and it looked like it was about 18" deep then.

Post Thanks / Like

Last word I heard was that dredging of Spring Mill Lake had been scheduled for this year as part of a settlement agreement with GM over hazardous contamination from it's Bedford plant. Over $350,000 had been set aside for this project. Don't know if it has actually started yet, though.

-T9

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that info T9. The thread about Yellowwood Lake down below got me thinking about Spring Mill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team9nine View Post
    Last word I heard was that dredging of Spring Mill Lake had been scheduled for this year as part of a settlement agreement with GM over hazardous contamination from it's Bedford plant. Over $350,000 had been set aside for this project. Don't know if it has actually started yet, though.

-T9
    I'm not questioning your information, but how the heck is the old GM plant and a pond 10 miles away that is not connected be related to each other?
    I only fish The Coon cause that's where I keep my toon.

Post Thanks / Like

I've become very frustrated with Indiana's lack of commitment towards quality fisheries. I was just down at Barkley Lake and it ruined me, pulling in trophy fish will do that. I don't expect a fishery like Barkley or Ky Lake but I certainly expect MUCH better than what we currently have. Spring Mill is an example of a small, state owned park facility that they simply ignore.

It's easy to get down on Indiana's lakes when you compare it to Kentucky's wonderful outdoor opportunities and it's not a fair comparison, I totally understand that too. Indiana needs to take care of the lakes that they have, lakes like Patoka that were once stud lakes and get on track. Many Indiana lakes have no porta pot, no trash cans present at the ramps which leads to littering and I could go on...these lakes need maintenance and it takes a commitment to keep them up.

Post Thanks / Like

Toilet facilities, Yes. Trash cans, No. You brought it take it home with you. There are a lots better places to spend our money than paying someone empty trash cans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    I'm not questioning your information, but how the heck is the old GM plant and a pond 10 miles away that is not connected be related to each other?
    Sounds like contamination of the surrounding watershed with PCBs, and where as part of the remediation would use sediment removed from Spring Mill Lake to restore dredged contaminated material from other adjacent areas of the watershed. Everything got delayed when GM filed for bankruptcy back in 2009 from what I've read.

"GM is currently working with the USFWS, IDEM and IDNR
    to restore the habitat of the stream. GM is also working
    with these agencies to investigate the potential dredging
    of Spring Mill Lake as a potential borrow source for the
    creek restoration and as a benefit to Spring Mill State Park."

www.in.gov/idem/files/notice_20130325_nrd_gmc_bedford.doc

http://www.bedfordpowertraincorrecti...actSheet13.pdf

Indiana Geological Survey

-T9

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team9nine View Post
    Sounds like contamination of the surrounding watershed with PCBs, and where as part of the remediation would use sediment removed from Spring Mill Lake to restore dredged contaminated material from other adjacent areas of the watershed. Everything got delayed when GM filed for bankruptcy back in 2009 from what I've read.

"GM is currently working with the USFWS, IDEM and IDNR
    to restore the habitat of the stream. GM is also working
    with these agencies to investigate the potential dredging
    of Spring Mill Lake as a potential borrow source for the
    creek restoration and as a benefit to Spring Mill State Park."

www.in.gov/idem/files/notice_20130325_nrd_gmc_bedford.doc

http://www.bedfordpowertraincorrecti...actSheet13.pdf

Indiana Geological Survey

-T9
    I get it now. Thanks
    I only fish The Coon cause that's where I keep my toon.