Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gifts from my family

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gifts from my family

My aunt and uncle have downsized houses and are now trying to simplify their "stuff." We went up to St. Louis last weekend to pick up some stuff and help them out as much as we could in a short weekend. I brought a recliner home that was my Papa's before he passed away. They just didn't have room for it, but my aunt was still emotionally attached, so now it's mine. My uncle was a maintenance electrician before he finished his degree and started computer programming and he still had stuff in the basement from his maintenance days. He had this heavy cart with his toolboxes on it named "Rolling Thunder" and he wanted Paul to have it, along with some tools that he doesn't need anymore. As we went through the different items they offered us, my uncle pulls out this pair of binoculars and says, "Hey, you want these? I thought you could use them in the boat." The case definitely looked vintage and then he tells us that they were used by spotters in WW II and his dad brought them home from the war. Wow . . . I can't just leave these in the boat! On Sunday morning Paul and I went over to their old house to hook up the trailer (we had loaded it up and left it in the garage Sat. night). As we're finishing up, I see this old wooden box standing on its side in the garage. I think it looks cool and I'm into country/primitive stuff, so it's right up my alley - kinda banged up and scarred some, but still really solid, no rotten wood and a chain that keeps the lid from falling back. So, I call my aunt real quick to ask if they were taking it to the new house and if not, could I have it. She says sure you can have it - it used to belong to Uncle Larry's dad. We finish up and hit the highway and just a short while later, my phone rings. It's Uncle Larry calling to tell me about this box. He says, "Sweetheart, I'm so glad you're taking that box home with you. It was my dad's footlocker in WW II. That "box" has been to the Phillippines and Guadalcanal. He painted the outside red after he came home, I guess he was sick of looking at the green." Holy cow . . . two pieces of history in my hands in one weekend. Paul and I both feel honored that we now have these items.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

you are a lucky lady. you and i are much alike. i love the old stuff. got my house furnished in it. i bought a world war 2 foot locker at an auction several years ago and it's back in a barn in my old mo. home. some people think we are crazy.

are we?

Post Thanks / Like

Very good ...........
    When my grandad died my mom pointed me to his shed and said, "take whetever you'd like", I just grabbed some tools, still got em,
    will pass em on down some day, etc .........
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

kycreek is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cherished items to be treasured.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

These are worth more than money could buy. I value things with unusual history. You're blessed to have them in the first place, and even more because you know and value the story behind them. Cool stuff Vonna.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around