Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is the Spawn done and over with?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the Spawn done and over with?

Here in KY, has the Crappie spawned out and moved back to deeper water?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad caught a 2 pound white Wednesday on a crawler while redear fishing in 16 feet of water. She was full of mature eggs. The water temp has warmed up slowly so there are probably several that have not spawned out.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with mrdux. There are some crappie still spawning, and some yet to spawn given the slow warming trend of the water this year. All crappie do not spawn at the same time, especially in a year such as this one with our high water and crazy weather patterns. There have been several times over the years on Ky Lake when I've caught crappie "spawning" in early June. True, most have probably spawned out, but there are always some stragglers. I caught 11 crappie Friday on Ky Lake in 9 to 15 FOW, and three in shallow water (4FOW) while bluegill fishing. Two of the three fish caught shallow were males in full spawning color (black) while the other fish, a female about 1.6 lbs was still full of eggs. The 11 fish in deeper water were two males and 9 females. The majority of the females still had eggs, though a few appeared to have spawned.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught 15 this morning on Ky Lake in 10 to 12 ft of water and 9 of them still had eggs in them.

Post Thanks / Like

looks lk most of the blacks have spawned. the whites r still spawning arnd here.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught a limit Thursday in about two hours Most had eggs Some of them were blacks All were in about 12 f/ w One question some of the eggs were a light yellow Does that mean they are about to drop them or does it mean ther body is consuming them. One other thing should we be seeing fry on the water. I have not seen to mutch of that

Post Thanks / Like

The 16 I caught at Cedar Creek today all had eggs in them. They were caught in 10ft of water 5 feet deep.
    \