Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad start to a good day

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad start to a good day

I had an 8:30 Dr appt this morning. When I arrived at 8:20, the lady at the front desk took my info and said that will be $30 co-pay. I told her I had never paid more than $10 so I got out the insurance card as she loudly argued with me that the computer said it was $30. The card said $10 so I paid her $10 and took a seat. An hour later and with an empty waiting room, one of the other ladies behind the desk asked if she could help me. I proceeded to tell her I had been there an hour past my appt time and I was not going to waste another second waiting. Seems the 1st lady with the attitude had placed my chart under a pile of papers and nobody else even knew I was there. I was just there to get my med prescriptions renewed and started to walk out the door. One of the nurses asked me to please come back RIGHT THEN and she would take care of my appt. I got apologies from everybody in the place EXCEPT from Mrs. Attitude. By the time I got everything took care of, it was well past 10.

I had spent over an hour watching Weather Channel and saw there is some less than desirable weather moving in over the next few days. My Dad has been dying to get back out in the boat so I called him and said meet me at the house at 2, ready to get after some gills. I took care of some pressing issues at the shop and headed home. We got in the water around 2:30.

We started out in an area I had smoked gills and redears on Sunday but there were only small gills there. We hit a couple of points that usually hold fish and caught a couple of big gills, several 1- 1 1/2 pound channel cats, and Dad caught a white crappie that was about 2 pounds on a nightcrawler. Shocked the crap out of both of us. We probed several spots and retraced our tracks, picking up a few keeper gills and I caught a female redears that was at least 1 1/2 pounds and about the spew eggs. She was released immediately, just like all female redears I catch.

We got well into the afternoon and I headed back into the rear of a small cove I had never fished, hoping we might find a few. We hit paydirt immediately and ended up catching probably 30 HUGE bull gills, many 9 inches or more. The fish were out front of a line of flooded buck brush in 5 feet of water where a bunch of what we call yellow mustard had been submerged when the lake level jumped up. We released several gills I would typically not even think about releasing. We called it a day around 6.

My Dad taught me a ton of what I knew about fishing as a kid and instilled the love of the outdoors in me at an early age. I have been lucky enough to teach him a lot about tactics I have tried over the years and we have had lots of good days on the water. He is now getting to the age that I have to watch over him closely, retie most of his break-offs and make sure he is safe in the boat and quit when I see him tiring out. He can't go all day like he used to so we go as long as he is having a good time.

Today was a great day to be on the water. The fish cooperated, we came home safely and I have a cooler full of iced fish to clean in the morning. Dad said if he feels like it in the AM, he will take me to breakfast and help with the fish cleaning. I'm going to hold him to his word but at the same time, be thankful that I can still have some days on the water with him.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Great post!!! Glad to hear you had a good time with your dad.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a great post. Never tire of reading stuff like that.

chaunc is online now 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never had the chance to enjoy the feeling you have of fishing with your dad as my dad never fished. Hard to believe, huh? My oldest brother is the one who started me and my brothers. He's 80 now and i've been trying to get him to come to KY with me at least one time. He wont travel that far. So i really envy you and your pops spending time on the water together. God has blessesd you both. Enjoy every second of it. I would.

Post Thanks / Like

nice

Post Thanks / Like

Very good read. Glad to see you spent time with your father. I know I miss mine

BIGBADDAD is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The way things are going I won't get to fish with my dad again. You made me cry Doug...good tears remembering the past. My mom can still fish when she comes to town so I can't wait.
    http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/BIGBADDAD/birdpooavatar.gif

www.kicknbass.net

Arkie Jigs Prostaff
    Todd Huckabee Rods Prostaff
    HiTec Outdoors Prostaff
    ESB Prostaff
    SteelShad Prostaff
    Jenko Fishing Prostaff

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day, (I can feel those redears pulling my lite line). Glad you had time to share with your dad! As for Miss Attitude, they are every where, seems some need a reschooling on how to deal with people; your their customer. Let your doctor know what is going on, he's the boss and most of the time don't know of front office problems.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a good breakfast and fish cleaning with Dad. Now if he can just get my Mom to quit worrying about smelling up her kitchen cooking fish and cook some of them for the two of them.Not like there hasn't been fish cooked in that kitchen about a thousand times.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know, sometimes we get so tied up or tied down that we miss the real meaning of being human, my son and I are getting to where we can do things together again, I can only hope someday he will compose an equally grateful tribute to me, if not, it wont be for lack of trying on my part, we are headed to the lake this weekend for his first real fishing roadtrip, so guys and gals, get out with your family members and create a memory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast