Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish kill at Harris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish kill at Harris

Talked to a friend today that fished Harris this week and saw dead bass and crappie floating in the water.He said a lot of these were nice fish.Also saw a post about it on CarolinaOutdoors website.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post . I realy to hear that about Harris.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh so sad to hear about it..!

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to lurk in the deep water when it comes to this site. Mostly because I rarely catch enough crappie to be of any ones interest. I just returned home from Harris Lake and I definitely second the fishkill. Saw ten to twelve dead bass on the shore and two big crappie floating in the water. I even smelled them. Also saw an Inland Fisheries boat motoring around the shore. I would assume they were biologist. As for catching crappie nothing but little guys. Only caught fish on chartreuse/white jigs, they didn't seem too interested in minnows. Fish were caught in 5-11 ft of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this on the Wildlife Comission's Facebook page. Copied and pasted. This is not good at all. Reminds me of Jordan a couple of years ago.

Fisheries biologists with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission investigating an ongoing fish kill at Shearon Harris Reservoir. Jessica Baumann and Michael Fisk (pictured) observed 110 largemouth bass, 35 crappie, 20 sunfish, and two catfish that were dead at Shearon Harris Reservoir today. The biologists are sending fish to be analyzed. Results from these analyses will provide insight as to the cause of the fish kill.
    A bad day fishing is still better than almost anything!!

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps its one of those deals where they died of exhaustion after spawning

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If the analysis is as slow as the results of the Jordan Lake Survey, ALL the fish in Shearon Harris may be dead before anyone knows why.

Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Someone said there paving the new parking lot I wonder if runoff from that might have something to do with it

Post Thanks / Like

May be run-off from all the decomposing material left from all the timber that has been cut around the lake. If it is natural they will tell you. If it is caused by man, they will tell you it is natural.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SEA DANCER View Post
    May be run-off from all the decomposing material left from all the timber that has been cut around the lake. If it is natural they will tell you. If it is caused by man, they will tell you it is natural.
    Now you know they wouldn't do that
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---WHEN I CAN FISH AND CATCH:D