Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is my problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is my problem

MY trailer lights just work on the left side, i have park lights,i have turn signal, i have brake light,the lights on my trailer are those water tight type(if there is such a thing) i cleaned all the connections on the trailer and my vehicle i am thinking a bulb blown on the right side even though they are suppose to be water tight, tell me what your thoughts are also both lights on the sides of the trailer work nothing works on the right side
    To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Required

Post Thanks / Like

I would check fuses 1st. My vehicle has different fuses for different trailer lights. If that's not the problem use a test light (available from any auto store) and check for power at each connection Start at the connection right before the light and work your way back to the trailer plug. My suspecion is you have broken wires somewhere on the trailer. If you have a folding tongue that could be 1 location. If you've bolted something new to the trailer that's another location to check.

The test light I have has an alligator clip on a wire for connecting to ground, the other end is like an ice pick that can be poked into the wire or connection I'm testing. It has a little light on it that comes on if the wire is hot. This unit is 30 years or so old and has solved a lot of problems for me. Hope this helps and good luck trailer wiring can be a pain.
    Just a fool fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Harbor Freight, buy you an LED kit for about 30 or 40 bucks, take a couple hours, and rewire your trailer, and your light problems will be a thing of the past. I fought trailer light issues for years, burning out bulbs, turn signals, popping fuses, adjusting grounds. Haven't touched them since switching to the LED lights. Do yourself a favor.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

foolfish
    Is it possible the ground wire on the trailer needs to be cleaned i did not clean that part,it seems to me that if the ground needed cleaned i would have nothing on either side

Post Thanks / Like

I took the light lens off the right side and the plastic part the protects the bulb has water in it and the bulb looked like it was blown not sure if the plastic housing can be taken off so the bulb can be replaced. Thanks guys for the information
    Last edited by limbhook; 04-18-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: to add a thank you for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Limbhook

If the tail light was a sealed unit and the bulb had water in it the seal was broken. You'll need to replace the tail light. I agree with locator if there is any age to your trailer replace all the lights. One thing if you replace the lights and don't have a fish tape ( that's Not for measuring crappie) attach the new wires to the old wires so you can the new ones in as you remove the old ones. Another way is to attach a string or wire to the old wires before you pull them.

On your earlier comment about the ground. If the system was not grounded none of the lights would work.

Hope you get sorted out and are fishing Saturday. Something else you could try is hand signals. Typically people wave when you use them because they think your waving at them since no one knows what they mean anymore. On second thought protect your motor, get your lights fixed.
    Just a fool fishin

Post Thanks / Like

one more thing on this subject and i will quit.easternmarine has a bulb capsule replacement for the type of lights i have,or would i be better off to replace all the wires from the trailer, i bought the whole fishing rig new in 2000

Post Thanks / Like

If it was me i would replace lites with new led lites and replace all wires from tounge to tail lites. on my old trailer i kept blowing fuses after replaceing lites and had a bad spot on the wire running thru the frame and would blow everytime it got wet. Good luck on your repair

Post Thanks / Like

Ok gang i think the prudent thing to do would put new LED lights on the trailer, thanks for putin up with all the whatifs

Post Thanks / Like

You can't replace the bulbs in the sealed lights, and I think a new complete light will cost you around 12 bucks and will at one time or another burn out. For the cost of two lights, you'll almost have a new LED kit paid for. Like already mentioned take the light off, and cut the harness off the front and use your old wire to pull your new wires through. Try not to splice or cut the wires anymore than you have to, the less splices, the less problems you could have. I always seal my splices in a waterproof sealant and let dry before I put the trailer in the water. I see lots of guys unhood the lights before dropping the boat in the water. But I have never had any issues with the sealant and the LED lights, and have never unplugged my lights. You will be glad you switched over in the long run.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast