Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Some questions for the veterans

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some questions for the veterans

I am new to crappie fishing and being the month of april, I thought it would be perfect time to start doing some fishing. I have a local lake I went to today and had no luck, not even one bite. So I have to ask:

* Is putting a live worm on your minnow lure a bad thing? I did it today so that I could have the lure for the crappie and the worm for the small mouth bass. Didnt get any so I want to see if the worm can actually hurt chances of crappie.

* What is better: Crappie fishing next to a giant bridge, fishing off of a boat ramp, fishing off a large dock, or going to a site nearby a large deposit of wood? Tried most of these today to experiment around, to no avail.

* What is better: The lure, or an actual live minnow?

* Do the geese/ducks know where the prime spots are? I saw them today bobbing their heads in the water or totally swimming down the bottom of the lake (looking for food I assume) and I was thinking that maybe the geese find natural hotpots. Or does it not really matter?

*How long do you wait before giving up on a spot? I was at 3 different spots today, spending about 30-45 minutes at each. How long do you wait at a spot without getting one bite before you give up? Was I being impacient?

* And last but not least, when is the best time? At the advice of a friend, I went today around 3 pm as the water was supposudly the warmest then. Someone else told me that while fish are more active in warm water, I should have gone like an hour before sunset cause their most likely to feed then. Others have said dawn is better, and some people on the internet even said that according to lunear cycles it could be best around 10 pm! So what is your guy's opinions on all this?

Anyways I would love some answers to these and any other advice I can get from the people that have caught lots of crappie in their day. Also if one of by chance happens to know Clinton Lake in Lawrence, Kansas I want to know the hotspot!

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site bigshow, I was looking through this forum to find instructions for one of the Mo members. I will try to address some of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bigshow8891 View Post
    I am new to crappie fishing and being the month of april, I thought it would be perfect time to start doing some fishing. I have a local lake I went to today and had no luck, not even one bite. So I have to ask:

* Is putting a live worm on your minnow lure a bad thing? I did it today so that I could have the lure for the crappie and the worm for the small mouth bass. Didnt get any so I want to see if the worm can actually hurt chances of crappie.

Adding a worm to a lure can be a good thing for bigger fish like bass or walleye, but crappies usually won't bite something that is over about 3" generally. They will bite lure sizes from 1" and up, and sometimes it depends on the forage they are used to eating....if they have been eating 1" fry, they may not go for a 3" shad bait.

* What is better: Crappie fishing next to a giant bridge, fishing off of a boat ramp, fishing off a large dock, or going to a site nearby a large deposit of wood? Tried most of these today to experiment around, to no avail.

Crappie have a tendency to relate to some kind of structure...bridge pilings, wood of some form, channel breaks (shallow water to deep water). Most ramps are kept clear of underwater obstructions, so not a great spot, but it seems they always have a preferred depth too. So if the fish are in 8-10' of water and are holding at 6', you will want to find the structure/cover in those depths.

* What is better: The lure, or an actual live minnow?

BOTH!! EITHER!! Let the crappie tell you what they want, ask at a marina what's best for this day

* Do the geese/ducks know where the prime spots are? I saw them today bobbing their heads in the water or totally swimming down the bottom of the lake (looking for food I assume) and I was thinking that maybe the geese find natural hotpots. Or does it not really matter?

Ducks and geese only know where to eat and crap, ignore them unless you have a shotgun in your hands. They are feeding in shallow water...occasionally there may be crappie there...or not

*How long do you wait before giving up on a spot? I was at 3 different spots today, spending about 30-45 minutes at each. How long do you wait at a spot without getting one bite before you give up? Was I being impacient?

Some guys fish a spot that long or longer, others move fairly quickly. If you have confidence that there may be fish there, by all means stick with it

* And last but not least, when is the best time? At the advice of a friend, I went today around 3 pm as the water was supposudly the warmest then. Someone else told me that while fish are more active in warm water, I should have gone like an hour before sunset cause their most likely to feed then. Others have said dawn is better, and some people on the internet even said that according to lunear cycles it could be best around 10 pm! So what is your guy's opinions on all this?

The best time is whenever you have the time to fish. If I try to plan around lunar tables and that type of thing, something always messes me up....just go as often, and for as long as you can! That way your odds improve on catching fish. If you're sitting at home waiting for the perfect time, it may never happen.

Anyways I would love some answers to these and any other advice I can get from the people that have caught lots of crappie in their day. Also if one of by chance happens to know Clinton Lake in Lawrence, Kansas I want to know the hotspot!

I'm pretty sure all the Ks guys will be p.m.'ing you with gps coordinates to the Clinton hotspots, but if they don't, just get out and fish. Watch where the boats are fishing....are they in channels? Are they close to the banks? Somewhere in between? Find some of the brushpiles in the lake and try those. Ask the local agent or biologist where to look. Watch the water temps versus the time of year. Right now, the fish should be starting to towards creeks, coves, cuts waiting for water temps to get into the 50's. They will move right onto the banks to spawn for a few weeks, then reverse and move back out. Read lots in the forum, here is where you will learn the most. Get yourself a Clinton Lake topographical map and study it. Carry it around with you and ask guys to point you in the right direction (but don't ask them for their "spots") Learn the lake and learn crappie...you'll be catching fish in no time.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

All great advice. I'd like to add. The recommendation for dusk and dawn are both correct. Crappie a predators, they prefer to feed in low light conditions, dawn/dusk. Having said that, this is spring time and the fish want to get warm and find food. Food will be in the warmer water, out of the wind. Find the food and the Crappie will be close by.

This might help.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archi...e-degrees.html

I also recommend a Crappie book to learn about the species. In-Fisherman Crappie Wisdom, or one by the Linder's Angling Edge is good too. Actually both are authored by the Linder's.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Best advice I know is learn how to use a slip cork rig. Basically this a bump on your line to stop the line passing thru the cork when it is as deep as you want to fish. Crappie feed at varied depths due water temp/time of year/spawn/weather. As simple as a tight knot on your main line that you can move up/down or a little rubber bump from BAss Pro Shop(45 for $1.79) let you adjust bait presentation instantly. (Example-one day my wife and I were catching crappie rapidly from submerged trees on the Al River near Montgomery. We, in our 10 yr old Fisher Marine Aluminum bass rig were approached by a man and his son in a 50K+ Ranger with more electronics on board than the NSA and said to me-We've been watching you fish for two days, catching crappie after crappie, and tried to do what you do-fishing 12" deep. We got nothing! Help us. I showed him how to rig a slip cork, we were fishing 18'-20' deep in cover, but when we reeled in, the cork came to the rod tip with only 12" of loose line free. The sinker carried it down to the bobber stop. LIve minnows and fishing deep into cover and drop-offs is best advice I know. Back in my fishing days withe my Thai wife we'd be on the water at daylight with 15 dozen minnows and came home before dark with 2 limits of crappie (50 each), weekend after weekend. Caught catfish too using Asian Clams for bait by the cooler full.