Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default spawn

Anyone catching any shoreline fish yet? What are your favorite bank spots? I like hillsdale along the cove by the dam, and the back boat docks at Clinton.

Post Thanks / Like

Think water might to cool for the start of the spawn. I like around Rock Creek Marina at Perry during the easy time of the year to catch slabs.

Post Thanks / Like

If you've got mainlake temps in the lower 50's, you've got spawners in a cove somewhere on the bank.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

I think we just need a good 5 days straight of 65 deg. and sunny and no cold rain.I think the shallow water is warming and getting cooled back down a day later by cold rain and temps.It won't be long and it will be here.At Toronto I like Toronto point cove and Mann's cove.
    Life is good today.

Post Thanks / Like

After several years of studying the spawn I am more convinced that water temp is the lesser of the two important parts of it. Most important part is length of daylight in a day. Last year proved that for me, we had 70 degree water early with no fish shallow but a few "eager" males. Crappie still spawned on their normal beds at their normal time. I do think they go shallow to feed in in the warmer water early in the day and evening.
    It's not duck season so I have to do something... :D

You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Springhill Duckman View Post
    After several years of studying the spawn I am more convinced that water temp is the lesser of the two important parts of it. Most important part is length of daylight in a day. Last year proved that for me, we had 70 degree water early with no fish shallow but a few "eager" males. Crappie still spawned on their normal beds at their normal time. I do think they go shallow to feed in in the warmer water early in the day and evening.
    OK, I have a question for you then. In the fall, say "sampling time" how do we end up with yoy crappie that are 3"-5"? Genetics? 30 days growth is about 2" for a crappie. Just something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedoc View Post
    OK, I have a question for you then. In the fall, say "sampling time" how do we end up with yoy crappie that are 3"-5"? Genetics? 30 days growth is about 2" for a crappie. Just something to think about.
    I guess I am not following what your posting here?

You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here we go again!!

Every year about this time the discussion of when the 'spawn' is for crappies. Again, most fishers are confused about the difference of 'shallow' crappies as to 'nest building' shallow crappies. There is a BIG difference!!! If you will look at the threads from last year,,, they look just exactly as these threads. Trust what the biologists say, and they will say the
    'spawn' happens when the combo of water temps and photo period comes together for best hatching. Believe me they are not nest building under 60 degrees. Make up your own theories about this if you must but,,,, try not to confuse the issue. JMO <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Great post chatt, that is more or less what I was trying to say. There are alway outliers but for the most part this has held very true the last several years for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Springhill Duckman View Post
    I guess I am not following what your posting here?
    Kirwin Reservoir / Region 1 / Fishing Locations - Public Waters / Where to Fish in Kansas / Fishing / KDWPT - KDWPT

So why the big size difference on the crappie? 2"-5" Why do the pond crappies spawn so much sooner?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast