Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Harris 4/5, A better day but no crappie found

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harris 4/5, A better day but no crappie found

We hit the lake again this morning and it was cold/windy most of the morning. As the morning calmed, we started to see activity pick up staying deep 18-30 ft. My father landed 2 catfish, 2 white bass (I think) and a bunch of brim and I caught a 3+lb LMB who looked like she was ready to drop her eggs. We practice CPR (catch-photo-release) so they are all back for another day of fun. Water temp was 55 degrees by the time we pulled off the lake at 1:30.

This is the first yellow catfish I have seen. Anyone have an idea what kind it is?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report brother. The fish in the top pic is a White Perch and the one yellow catfish is... what I call a yellow bullhead, which is simply one type of mud catfish. I have fished Harris Lake a lot and I have only seen a very few of those yellow cats... but the white perch are a very invasive pests and you should keep or destroy every one that you catch. There are some huge white perch in Harris Lake... much larger than that one... and they are scrappy fighters, huge fun to catch and make very tasty table-fare too. I would as soon eat white perch as I would crappie... that's just me. I love 'em.

I have often said that I predict the next state record white perch may be caught at Harris Lake.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

yeah top one is a white perch, lake norman and rhodhiss are filled up with them, dang good eating! Fish taste is close to walleye

Post Thanks / Like

The small white perch grow very nice tomatoes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SEA DANCER View Post
    The small white perch grow very nice tomatoes.
    My wife has given up on growing tomatoes as her first attempt made a nice meal for the neighborhood deer and on her second attempt, she started them on our deck only to be destroyed by horn worms ;-)

thanks Special K for the education and certainly will help the cause by keeping the invasive ones!