Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First time on Kentucky Lake this coming Weekend - Any Advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time on Kentucky Lake this coming Weekend - Any Advice?

Been lurking on here for a few months and will be making my first trip to KY Lake to crappie fish this coming weekend. We're staying at the Moors. Bringing wife and kids and want to put them on some fish. I have no idea what to expect. I'm sure there will be tons of boats out - any advice on etiquette when moving into a spot? Some of the pictures I've seen show boats pretty close together. We plan on spider rigging but I'm pretty new to that too. I'm kind of envisioning a procession of boats down every bank! I at least know to stay on one side of the ramp when launching and I'll pay close attention to the depth finder when moving around. Thanks for any help/advice - greatly appreciated.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Pay attention to the depth finder and I use the philosophy that I wouldn't get any closer to another guy than I'd want him to get to me.
    My main advice is keep moving till ya catch something. Just don't fall in love with a method if it's not producing.

Post Thanks / Like

My only advice would be this. Ky lake is a very big place and the grass is always greener on the other side. If you aren't catching fish then try something else but that doesn't necessarily mean a big move. Most of the bays offer a variety of depths and cover. Find something that works for you and stay with it. You will see a number of boats in a number of places and hear a bunch of people talking but I have found that ALOT of them are just like you and me and are looking for fish. I have quit fishing areas just because I see a bunch of boats. In the past I have joined in with twenty boats spider rigging and watched each of them fish 8 poles for an hour and never see a fish caught. Doesn't mean it's not a good thing some of the time but not a good thing all the time. Depth, water temp, speed, and choice of bait make all the difference like all other lakes. My thoughts from 10 years of learning this very difficult lake if you aren't use to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for the advice. It looks like there are so many good places to fish you could spend a lot of time just travelling around/across the lake. Do I need to run across the lake to the LBL side or are there plenty of places on the west side to fish? Not being familiar with the lake at all I don't really want to do too much running around. I've heard about the wind getting up and trying to get back. Don't want to try that with the family in the boat for sure. Now can you give me some GPS coordinates? Just kidding! Thanks again for the help.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy a contour map of the lakes...

Check the weather each day before fishing and see which way the wind is predicted to blow from...

Then pick a bay that at least one side is protected from the wind that day....

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Get a guide.