Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie reel

OK, still really new at fishing for crappie and bass.
    But I have a spinning reel with 6 lb. test on it. I use it for just about everything from light floating rapalas to jigs for crappie.
    Wanting to get another reel, but thought about a baitcaster, I will rig it with 6-8 lb. line. I would like to be able to cast light lures like the floaters to the jigs like road runners etc.
    any suggestion on a reel around the 45-60 dollar range?
    I am looking at bass pro and gander mountain, I have gift cards to them.
    Any help would be great, and it will be going on a ugly stick rod.

Thanks for any help.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Your rod is more important then the reel when casting lite lures,you need a rod that will load the lures your casting.A stiff rod want load the lite lures for better and farther casting.If you buy a cheap baitcaster for casting lite lures you'll be ball headed after a few cast trying to untangle bird nest after bird nest.
    May I subject A pistol grip 5 1/2 ft. Mico craphite rod made by shakespear(less then 20dallars walmart) and a zebco Z02 at bass pro under 50 dallors.

Post Thanks / Like

buy lots of line. lol

bait casters and light lures go together like dump trucks and yugo tires. a small gust of wind is all it takes to burn 5 min. catching time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river scum View Post
    bait casters and light lures go together like dump trucks and yugo tires.
    Agreed. Stick with the spinning reel.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get you a Phuleger President spinning reel and a good rod. Like the others said Baitcasters and light lures don't work. I have tried and there is not one out there that will work.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at that particular reel. I am starting to lean more on getting another spinner for my pole.
    Thanks for the help.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cray is on target for this one. A good spinner in the 2000 series with as many ball bearings as you can afford and you won't be disappointed. While you're looking, find a Mitchell Avocet that comes with 2 spools( about $20 to $25) and set one up with 4 and one with 6. These aren't nearly the quality of the President but make a good next reel for the next rod that you will inevitably find. Mine serve me well. The 2000 series has a bigger spool and the line memory is much more manageable than the peanut ultra lights. They are cool but have their issues. The 4lb line is great for pitching 1/32 jigs, but 6 is better around grabby stuff.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Crappie reel

500 series shimmano best light reel i have ever owned. Pair with a 7 foot light action rod

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano Spirex 1500 or 2000 and Pflueger President...both are excellent reels that I own and use. I find myself gravitating to the President more but fished the little Spirex hard for more than 10 years without so much as a hiccup. The Shinanos are immensely popular with walleye guys for fishing small jigs in deep water. Quality on both is comparable as is performance.

kycreek is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the President series myself. Got them on all my favorite rods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast