Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you do.. "THE JIG"

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you do.. "THE JIG"

i myself was always under the understanding jigging(with a jig) is done either vertical, like off a boat or using a long rod and basically dipping and dancing the jig or casting letting it fall to the bottom and bouncing it back to you.. But i see quite often guys reffering to jigging as casting out an reeling it in or using it under a float.

whats your technique? Or favorite way?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If they are hitting it on the fall then I will not use a float. If the fish tell me they want it stationary and at their level then I will use a slip float. If I am fishing a soft plastic and there is a small chop on the water then I use a slip float to give action to the soft plastic tube or stinger.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Jigging to me, is long pole fishing, and holding the bait a still and as close to my target as possible, don't fix it if it aint broke.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
    casting out an reeling it in
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As Shipahoy has said, I let the fish tell me the way they want it. I call my retrieve the "pitch and glide". Pitch the jig to a given place, close the bail and take a turn or so on the reel to achieve a gentle bow in the line with the rod at about 10 o'clock, and never take your eyes off the line from then on. As the jig falls through the water column I'm counting til the line does something that I didn't tell it to, then set the hook from the wrist. I have had days when I caught lots of fish, and hardly felt a thump at all. Most of the fish were caught when they hit on the rise. When it's tough and they don't want to play is when you dig a little deeper into your "Bag of Tricks" and keep trying different subtle differences, like color or weight change, to find the winning number.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to work it all over structure. My method is verticle jigging structures I sank in the lake most of the time. Most people impart lots more action than needed IMO.
    I have an experiment for you guys to try. Hold your pole out as if fishing with jig on the line. Just try to hold the rod still as possiable. That jig moves a little no matter how steady you try to hold it.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I call jigging is when bait is straight under rod ,the way I do it is I use a 5&1/2 foot rod and jig brush that is 5 or more feet below the surface and only move bait a little, more in summer,but if we had trees I would use a 9 or 10 ft rod but most of my jigging is brush that tops out at 10 or more ft,be sure that TM is set low ,will run more but will not jump on and off which alert the fish,a silent suttle approach is always better
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What Gene said....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Pappy Article .... my "favorite" way.

I think the terminologies of "jigging", "jig fishing", and "fishing with a jig" have all been blended together to mean somewhat the same thing. But, there's really only "using a jig" as a bait, while you're fishing a certain "method". My "normal" method of "using a jig" is to cast it/slow retrieve it ... with nothing but the jig on the line. Then, when the opportunity presents itself, I use my "favorite" method ... as outlined in the article I wrote (see link above).

... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Crappie Pappy Article .... my "favorite" way.

I think the terminologies of "jigging", "jig fishing", and "fishing with a jig" have all been blended together to mean somewhat the same thing. But, there's really only "using a jig" as a bait, while you're fishing a certain "method". My "normal" method of "using a jig" is to cast it/slow retrieve it ... with nothing but the jig on the line. Then, when the opportunity presents itself, I use my "favorite" method ... as outlined in the article I wrote (see link above).

... cp
    Well said in your article. I especially like these two paragraphs. "What is “Vertical Casting” – simply put, it’s letting out line until the bait hits bottom or is obviously deeper than the Crappie are suspended … then slowly reeling the bait back up. You are, in essence, “casting” straight down (vertical) and reeling straight up. I don’t call it vertical “jigging”, because I don’t impart any extra movement to the bait. I don’t jerk, jiggle, shake, or cause any added movement to the bait as I reel it back up. In fact, I try and keep the rod & reel as still as possible.

How do you “Vertical Cast” – disengage your reel and allow the bait to drop straight down to the bottom, or deep enough that you are sure the bait has dropped below the depth of the fish. Engage the reel and very slowly start reeling back in. Hold the rod lightly in your hand (don’t grip it tight, as that will wear your hand and arm out, and it may effect your ability to detect a light strike). The rod should be in a comfortable position, in relation to your body, but your arm should not be resting on anything. The rod tip should be pointing straight out from you and the rod should be parallel to the water’s surface (what’s commonly known as the 9 o:clock position). A good, smooth winding reel is essential. Reeling “slowly” means taking 5-7 seconds to make one full turn of the reel handle. The bigger the reel (or reel spool) or the faster the reel’s line pickup speed – the slower you’ll need to turn the handle. You want the bait to take several seconds to rise a foot up thru the water column. This will give fish, in the most neutral of moods, a chance to ease over and sample your offering."
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast