Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: High Rock 3-17

Post Thanks / Like

Default High Rock 3-17

Had to put up pasture fence on sat so didn't get to hit the lake on what was a beautiful day.Talked the neighbor into riding to HR Sun morning to see if my moms pier had any crappie hiding in her brush piles.It was nice and sunny when we got there then sun went in and the wind got up and it got chilly.Only managed one fat catfish and missed a few other fish.Fished minnows and jigs.Normally her pier has fish around it in march but i reckon i'll wait a couple more wks and try it again.Water didn't look all that bad but was still alittle dingy.Didn't try anywheres else do to we jus grabbed the rods and tackle box and didn't take the boat jus fished off the pier.But it was nice jus to sit back and stare out across the lake and not having to put gas in the boat and cleaning everything up when we got back home.But I was wondering while we wer standing on the pier we kept noticing shad kept floating up around the pier and dieing.Anybody have any clues to why this was happening.The sea gulls wer loving it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report

Post Thanks / Like

When the shad get in the shallows and the temperature drops too low, it stuns them. Thanks for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

Stripers are known to stun shad sometimes. They'll run up on a shad and hit them. I believe they just do it for fun sometimes. You could have seen the affects of someone running through a school of shad with the boat and getting caught up in the prop wash. That's why you'll see sea gulls chasing boats. They love it when it happens. Could have just floated out your way. Threadfin do start dying off in about 45 degree water and they are first to go in low oxygen water.