Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cotaco Creek - 9 Mar 13

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cotaco Creek - 9 Mar 13

Yesterday, I went to Cotaco Creek for half a day. I launched from Triana at 0530, and was fishing NLT 0600. Surface water temp was 47 degrees. Water was stained and the current was stronger than normal. Wind was stronger than forecasted.

First cast, I caught a short Crappie. I thought this was a positive sign the day was going to be a good! I worked the laydowns, shallows, went south of the bridge, fished the mouth, and everything between. Total Crappie keepers = 2. One was black and one white. Both were solid twelve inch fish. I did catch six or seven shorts. I tried 1/16 and 1/24 oz jigs. Baits tried: BG monkey milk, blue ice, blue thunder, crystal, pink pearl, tuxedo shimmer, bluegrass, and watermelon wine. One of the keepers was caught on a 10' rod in my new Hi-Tek rod holder. I wish I had purchased Hi-Teks sooner. I gave away the keepers to a couple fishin the Indian Creek boat pier.

The stripe fishing is a different story. I found a school of hungry yellow stripe on the downflow side of one particular lay-down. I had a blast fishing this area for about forty-five minutes. As fast as I could get the jig in the water it was fish on! I set aside the single jig rod and picked up the double. I caught doubles on most casts. No clicker, but I am confident I pulled in 50+ stripe. The stripe really liked the BG blue ice and crystal.

I also caught one LM that went about 1.5lbs and one bluegill. The stripe and these were catch and release.

I had the pleasure of talking with a number of folks yesterday. No one had more than 3 keepers. Separately, several boats were fishing a local bass tournament. I had the good fortune to watch one young guy catch a 4lb LM. It surprised the heck out of him when he hooked into it!

Not many crappie, but a great day!
    Last edited by Spaceman; 03-10-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, may have been light on Crappie but sounds like good regardless.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same type of day. Not very many crappie for me on wheeler (10 total, 2 keepers), but the stripe (hybrids, white bass, and yellow) are all over the place in the flint river! My friend and I were able to catch them every cast if we wanted to, some were up to 3 lbs, which is a blast on 4lb test. We were using 1/16th oz jigs with Bobby G Emerald Shad, Blue Thunder and Tuxedo black.