Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Catfish on Cross Lake this Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catfish on Cross Lake this Sunday

I went fishing off a friends dock Sunday afternoon. (today)
    Fishing with worms, fresh from the fridge. The worms were cold
    yet the catfish did not seem to mind. Wormcicles! We {Lynn, Michael and I}
    cork fish with various rods & reels. Also, retractable and cane pole
    angling' too.

The bites were steady. Sunset the swallows came out from the
    roof of the boathouse. The peepers joined the cicadas and the bites were
    more steady. We started pulling them in! A few pounds & half pounders,
    tossed back. Then we got a strike, almost pulled the cane poll off the
    dock! A fine catfish! "Nice, skillet size!" "For a really big Skillet!" Better
    cut this one up, and feed a whole family.. Well, maybe that is a bit over
    the top. It was pretty big for the day! Maybe 2 1/2 or 3 pounds.

We caught small cats in the shade of the docking side of the pier.
    Tossed them back and told them to grow. About that time I got the idea to tie on a larger top water lure and try my luck at some bass up in the coon tail moss. I tied it on a rod that a shark of a catfish had snatched the hook from. Not bad enough he took the worm, but the hook too!

So I cast it out. The new top water rattler. Knowing I needed to watch the cast now, because the line has fought many a fish in and was brittle in some places. I cast it out, and got one on! A few casts later another bite! Just then He started to drag it out. Taking my line out giving him room to run for a bit, and reeling in the slack. Just when I thought we were in for the haul, the line broke and there was the bobber out in the waves like a dive flag of where my rattletrap was. Hmm I thought... I have been wanting to get beyond the moss. Maybe I will take one of these rods and slip out over the moss cover, and paddle over and get my rattletrap and bobber. I got into the canoe and paddled out to get passed all the moss.

Once, I'm got the lure and cork with the canoe, I glided the boat out to more open waters. fished a little out passed the moss, eased out into the current. The canoe was so nice! It had a foam seat designed to kneel on foam cushions pads for your knees to rest on. Very well designed! I enjoyed fishing out of it. I let the natural pull of the water bring me closer to the dock and coasted back over the moss and dry docked the canoe. Fun fun I thought and walked down the path back to the boathouse. :D

Michael was pulling one up as Lynn and I walked down the pier! A fine catfish! He put it in and I looked at the ice chest. Gotta take the chest up to the house and start cleaning' these before it is too dark. I'll leave this lantern for you to find your way on the path with the rods, I said.

Two nice sized bags of slabs, for the both of us. Lynn did not want any she lives on the lake. We had a lot of fun!

No camera. Sorry, I did not really know I was gonna fish.) met for Lunch & it became fishing! How cool is that!

Post Thanks / Like

That was a fine trip. I get out to Cross on a fairly regular basis when the weather lets me. Last time I went to the Legion hall, they were doing a job on the crappie there under the lights.

LimbBreamer Guest

Default WormCicles

Dear Riverfish.

On a Hot day on Cross Lake, those fish were lucky to get a cool treat. You need to market those cold worms. Heck, they even sounded tasty to me. Ack--I mean Yuck.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny :D