Size:  81.4 KBName:  photo (7).jpg
Views: 26504
Size:  69.7 KBName:  photo (8).jpg
Views: 37363
Size:  54.9 KBName:  photo (9).jpg
Views: 33360
Size:  73.2 KBName:  photo.jpg
Views: 26406
Size:  55.5 KBMany of us that fish, especially for Crappie, have been having trouble finding a convenient source for live bait (minnows) due in part to the large number of bait shops that have closed. I have been using a homemade minnow tank for 2 years now and never have to worry about finding minnows for a quick trip to the lake. It is simple, affordable and easy to make.

Here is what you will need:

1. 50 gal. blue plastic barrel ($10 or maybe free)
    2. 110 volt aerator with a large air stone ($19.00 BPS)
    3. Small aquarium filter ( I use the Whisper 10i $15)
    4. Plastic valve for draining your tank. ( About $4 at Lowes)
    5. 4 wheel cart for moving it around when full of water (optional About $10 at Harbor Freight)

I had most of this stuff, except the filter, lying around the basement. You can use a garbage can in place of the barrel if you want but the barrel is strong and wont collapse if you do it right.

First cut the barrel just above the top stiffening ring. Make sure that you leave the stiffening ring intact. You can use a skill saw to do this job. After you cut the top off, use a knife to remove all of the burrs left by the saw. You don’t want this stuff falling into the water. Now that you have total access to the inside of the barrel thoroughly clean it with soap and water. (This is a must) The tank will hold about 30 gal of water when filled about 4”-6” from the top.

Attach a landing made of a suitable material to the side of the tank for the aerator. I used a 90 degree piece of aluminum that I had lying around.

The filter is a no brainer. Just hang it on the side. Make sure that you have enough water to cover the bottom of the filter.

Here are a few things you need to know before you put minnows in your new homemade minnow tank.

1. When you fill your tank you should add the proper amount of water conditioner for aquariums or the proper amount of “minnow saver” to the water and let it set at least 24 hours before adding the bait. There are several in line water filters that you can attach to your garden hose that will help get rid of most of the bad stuff in tap water but the water conditioner is very important. Some places add little or no additives to their tap water and can almost be used straight away but the majorities are adding something such as fluoride or other chemicals that will kill your bait very quickly. Fill it, condition it and let it set before you add the bait.
    2. Your tank should hold up to 2.5 to 3 lbs of minnows without any problem. If you are using them regularly you should not have to feed them. They will actually eat the ones that die.
    3. Keep your tank in the shade or in a cool place. I am lucky enough to have a basement. Cool air is not nearly as important as shade.
    4. Clean your tank at least once a month.
    5. Keeps a 5 gal bucket of water standing by to add to your tank as needed. (Evaporation and taking out bait) It should have already set 24 hours before adding.
    6. Don’t let the kids play in the “minner tank”. They might have chemicals or other things on their hands that will harm the bait. I have seen bait shops loose a whole tank due to handling by customers.

I hope this will help you guys out.

Just Remember. My daddy told me “If you feel him bite set the hook! It’s got to be in his mouth cause he ain’t got no hands!”
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post
    Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homade minnow tank

Thanks for the post and pictures. You just made alot of people's day.

Luvfatslabs is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, Thanks
    Good luck and good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! That is a lot cheaper to do than I would have thought. With a drive like mine that thing would pay for it self in no time. Thanks alot for a very detailed post!
    Crappie are snobby..... Why can't they be easy to catch...Like bass?

Post Thanks / Like

I love your set-up. As far as the "minner saver", where can I get that at?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed post. How long can you keep minnows?
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

You can find minnow saver at most high end bait shops. You can also order it on line at Bass Pro Shops. Get the smallest amount available because it doesn't take very much of that stuff to condition the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I have kept them for 4 months without any problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilman,
    Thanks for the help..

Post Thanks / Like

do they keep in the summer very well? i am in the process of converting an old no longer working deep freeze into a "minner" tank. its a big one probably at least 200 gallons or more. i'm gonna hook up a couple bubblers and a 75 gallon canister filter to it that i have laying around extra from my aquariums. planning on keeping it in the garage. i'm thinking by leaving the lid down and adding ice i can keep it fairly cool. what do you think? how many minnows could i keep in it at a time? thanks

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast