Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: FYI - Spider Rigging in WI

Post Thanks / Like

Default FYI - Spider Rigging in WI

Took a look at the WI regulations and contacted the DNR regarding spider rigging. There is a 3 hook limit per person in WI - each item capable of catching fish is counted as 1. So you can run 3 crank baits, or 3 minnows, or 3 jigs per person. You can run 2 on one rod and 1 on the other, or run 1 minnow on 3 different rods, just don't go above 3 in total. It will save you fines and minnows.

Also, trolling is prohibited statewide, unless permitted - best to check the DNR regulations before you start. Drifting with the wind is not considered trolling. You can position over a brush pile with the motor, but not troll past it.

My county is an exception, I can troll countywide except on 3 lakes. Also, to get more baits in the water, I can bring a kid along Now to build some rod holders for the next year.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought you folks trolled for Walley and fish like that.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I live in WI and tried spider rigging last summer. First I spent the better part of a day catching a jar full of spiders. To keep them from eating each other I then had to catch some flies to toss in the jar. This process took an entire day.

The next day I took my jar of well-fed spiders out in my boat and attempted to spider rig. I must report that WI spiders are not robustly constructed. Every time I got a leg tied to a tiny hook, the darn leg would break off and the spider would escape on its remaining 7 legs. I believe most of them jumped overboard. Needless to say, my one and only attempt at spider rigging in WI was not successful.

This coming summer, I am thinking of trying fly fishing. I do know that flys are easier to catch than spiders. If I decide to go through with the experiment, I'll provide a report.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I thought you folks trolled for Walley and fish like that.
    Every lake is different as far as trolling goes, need to keep track of regulations. Boundary waters Mississippi River trolling is permitted with no closed season for any species.

Post Thanks / Like

Badgerloader, Instead of hooking them there spiders, try superglueing their backs to the hook. Spiderriggin works best over a brush pile in about 10 fow or more, so first plant a few fish cribs on your favorite crappie lake and mark them with a GPS. the spiders will attract the crappie.
    Crappie fisherman know what I mean.......black or white, they all taste the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinkin about poachin some of the neighbors feesh, but with all that regulation b*ll I think I'll stay home.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.