Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My Update!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Update!

Slowly but surely I will make a good jig maker! Lol Well I got all my stuff in and rounded up about 40 or 50lbs of lead and started melting and fluxing. I poured lead in muffin pan which makes ingots that don't really fit in the Lee 10lb pot that well.....I usually learn best from mistakes! I think I will order the ingot mold where I can just drop lead in quick to melt! I tried smoking molds with candle method that I read on here and it increased the number of good jigs I could pour in the pro molds! I poured for about an hour and finally could get about 5 out of 7 to come out good in both 1/16 and the 1/32 mold. I had ordered an extra 1/32 mold to modify to a 1/24 oz mold and got it back yesterday and can't wait to see how it does after modification? Thanks guys for all the info and pointing me in the right direction!

One more Question? ...When lead is in pot I notice it forms a rusty looking powder on top while i am pouring...is this normal and what do I need to do about it? I was not sure if maybe I did not flux good enough or if lead will just do that when hot for a while?
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Funk gathering on top of the lead, I believe, is the impurities oxidizing and surfacing. I leave them until it's time to add more or I'm done for the sitting. Try hitting the gate to the cell dead on when you pour. The lead swirling before entering the gate cools just enough to form an incomplete. Lyman ingot molds have handles and are aluminum allowing them to cool quicker. You're well along the way, it's just practice from here. Have fun.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It's good to hear you have been pouring. Not sure of the reason you are having trouble pouring all good jigs but you will get where you can.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're moving right along!!!!!!!! When that crud forms on top I just use an old spoon and skim it off. Like everything else make sure your trash can (mine is an old metal coffee can ) doesn't have any moisture in it!!!! If you're getting 5 out of 7 on your first pouring you're doing good. It takes getting used to doing it and you'll get into a rhythm and once you do you'll be amazed what a pile of jigs you'll have!!!!!!!