Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cast Net Lead?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cast Net Lead?

I been trying to round up any lead I could find to start melting down and get ready to pour and was given some that come off bottom of cast net! Is that lead pure enough for pouring jigs? I don't want to mix somethind in the pot that will cause me trouble pouring! Thanks
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All that I've ever had were pure. Poke it with a screwdriver and see if it dents easy. Wheel weights will dent but not as easy. Takes a little to see the difference but with them side by side you'll see what I mean.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Most all lead that was used as sinkers or jigs is good lead. If you get wheel weights, you need to sort them. Steel wheel weights are easy to spot. Some zinc weights will have a 'Z' on them. Use a pair of side cutters for the rest. Zinc will be harder to cut. If you melt it, dip the floating metals off. Bring the temp of the melt just above the lead melt temp. Zinc will look puffy, fluffy and floats.
    I use tngunowners.com msgunowners.com and castboolits , look in the reloading or casting section. Your state may have one of these sites.