Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best weekend in April or May to Catch Crappie Near the Banks Spawning?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best weekend in April or May to Catch Crappie Near the Banks Spawning?

I sponsor a hunting and fishing club here at the school I work for. I'm trying to pick a Saturday in April or May to take the kids up to LoZ and crappie fish. I know weather plays a big part in how good the fishing will be but if you had to pick a weekend which would you pick? I'm just assuming that we will be bank fishing but I am going to try to find a few boat owners who will be willing to go along to hopefully get the kids off the bank in case the fish aren't on the banks. I know two years ago we had an awesome time across from the Pa He Tsi ramp at the end of April but last year wasn't so hot due to the crummy weather pattern.
    Last edited by st041986; 01-18-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You might ask over on the missouri board for info. There are alot of guys that fish LOZ on there. I would say it depends on how fast it warms up. I remember last year when it got so warm in march and the fish got in a hurry and sort of threw things off for april and may patterns.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the Missouri Fishing section. Did you click the wrong link yourself or did somebody move mine to the right spot already?

Post Thanks / Like

last year started april 1 still on the banks though fewer and smaller the end of may the weather changing to the extreme makes all the diff in the world down there

Post Thanks / Like

2nd week of April to some time mid to late May, and that all depends on the weather and temp.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have learned from some old timers, length of daylight , 12 to 14 hours, crappie like walley are light orented to spawn, water temp means something,but long days mean more, at least above 50 dg water. so check the almanac and look for when the sunlight is in the 12 to 14 hr. range.

Post Thanks / Like

Early morning and late in the day makes for some fast action,even on those off days.

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's the last week in April, and/or the first two weeks in May. I fish from State Park, Marina/ Public Beach #One, most of the time. I did fish PB-2, once this Winter and did pretty good. If it were me, I would give myself a 3 week, or 30 day, time, ahead of time, to come on here and read how the bite is going, and where at, for it depends on rain, and how much, and water temps, and length of daylight. ( if any RAIN at all this year!). PB-2 would be the place for allot of room for bank fishing, at least it looked good anyway and had all the facility's. (*the ONE time I was there anyway.) I been fishing out of PB-1 for several years, so here about mid March, come back in here; (NOT that you can't before too,) but,,.. if it's "the bite" you will be asking about,,...I'll know, and so will many more members I would bet. So this is my 2cents worth and either me, or my Brother-law will be going every weekend it is fit to fish, and even some days it ain't fit to fish,,... too! What works for me too and also is anytime during Spring Turkey season seems to work well for CRAPPIE,,...most years anyway. Good luck! When you do get to go I hope,,... the bite is on!